We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Amman to Jerusalem; Hotel Taxi VIP Crossing Stamp

Paris, France
Level Contributor
26 posts
232 reviews
Save Topic
Update on Amman to Jerusalem; Hotel Taxi VIP Crossing Stamp

hello !

A few questions which will provide precious help to us on a planned trip from Amman to Jerusalem 3rd week of March, we arrive Thursday afternoon in Amman and have to fly back Monday evening so have 3 whole days and 2 half days

Hotel

I understand its best to make the crossing early morning; is there a hotel close to the bridge in Amman?

Taxi

Would anyone suggest taking a regular taxi or one of these organised tours (incidently 300 dollars) how difficult is it to do it yourself?

VIP Crossing

Is it worth getting the VIP crossing or is the regular service ok?

Stamp

We have British passports but live and work in Dubai, we also have visas from all GCC and ME countries in our passport, is it 100% that we can get the stamp on a piece of paper? Has anyone been hassled with such visas (saudi, kuwait, uae etc etc)

Thanks a million in advance!

Cheers

Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Yoav Rotem Private Tours Israel
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,769 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on Amman to Jerusalem; Hotel Taxi VIP Crossing Stamp

For information regarding the Jordan side of this transfer post your questions on the Jordan forum.

No one can guarantee 100% of anything but my understanding is that passports are not stamped at the Allenby Bridge crossing - you also need to check if Jordan will stamp your passport. The minute you have a Jordanian exit stamp at that crossing it is a "no brainer" to know where you went and it doesn't make a difference if you have an Israeli stamp or not.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on Amman to Jerusalem; Hotel Taxi VIP Crossing Stamp

You don't need a hotel near the bridge - it's not a particularly long taxi ride from Amman (less than an hour if I remember). The bridge is open until 22.00 so if you can get there well in advance of that, there is no point in staying overnight in Jordan just to arrive at the bridge in the morning. The buses to Jerusalem stop a little earlier but you could take a private taxi if necessary.

I doubt that the VIP service is necessary unless for some reason you are in a hurry. The crossing is slow as you have to deal with exit taxes, wait for the shuttle bus etc, but once you are inside the terminal people with foreign passports are in a shorter queue than locals. It will also be quicker if you only have hand luggage, which I guess may be the case if you are just coming for the weekend.

I don't think anyone can assure you 100% that you won't get your passport stamped (NB you also have to be concerned about the Jordanians stamping an exit or entrance at Allenby bridge), but there is an established procedure for asking not to receive a stamp in your passport, since it's a common request. See here:

http://www.amman2jerusalem.com/useful3.php#3

You may well be asked some questions about your Middle East travels on entry.

avigail

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
825 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on Amman to Jerusalem; Hotel Taxi VIP Crossing Stamp

Jordan will not stamp your passport with an exit stamp at this crossing. My understanding is you are entering an area once part of Jordan and they don't believe you are leaving Jordan. Don't know if this explanation I got is 100% correct but I do know they will not stamp your passport. If you got a visa at Amman airport this is still valid for 14 days at this crossing when you return to Jordan.

I crossed over in June 2012 and my passport was stamped on the Israeli side. Didn't bother me and I didn't ask for it not to be stamped but others in the Shuret I got to Jerusalem did ask for their passport not to be stamped and the Israeli authorities obliged. Doubt it is 100% though.

Take a taxi from Amman to the crossing and don't bother with the VIP service as it is not necessary. Take the sherut from the Allenby crossing to Jerusalem. You have to wait until it fills up but won't take long. It leaves you at the Damascus gate and the light rail is just across the road.

Your passport will be taken off you in Jordan and you will be told to get on the bus to cross the bridge. Don't worry, an official will get on the bus and hand all passports back without a stamp.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
26 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on Amman to Jerusalem; Hotel Taxi VIP Crossing Stamp

Thanks a million for the great comments and advice and so quickly too - really much appreciated

Cheer!

5. Re: Update on Amman to Jerusalem; Hotel Taxi VIP Crossing Stamp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2017, 13:01
Paris, France
Level Contributor
26 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on Amman to Jerusalem; Hotel Taxi VIP Crossing Stamp

thank you Mazadatours !

Bucks
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Update on Amman to Jerusalem; Hotel Taxi VIP Crossing Stamp

Does anyone know if there is pulic transport available from the crossing to Jerusalem on a Saturday? We would like to cross from Jordan early on a Saturday morning in April but wonder how we will get to Jerusalem? Any ideas?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update on Amman to Jerusalem; Hotel Taxi VIP Crossing Stamp

Only private transfers on the Israeli side of the border on Saturdays. This is something that you might want to consider booking in advance.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update on Amman to Jerusalem; Hotel Taxi VIP Crossing Stamp

If you mean Allenby crossing, taxis and sherut (shared) taxis are available at the crossing on saturdays. Sherut will drop you near Damascus gate of the old city of Jerusalem.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,806 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Update on Amman to Jerusalem; Hotel Taxi VIP Crossing Stamp

As far as I know - but I could be wrong - Jordan WILL stamp your passports at the Sheikh Hussein crossing (the one near Beit She'an in the north).

At the KING Hussein (Allenby) Bridge crossing, Jordan won't stamp your passports, and there is no problem getting transport from there on Saturdays.