We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female travelling alone to Jerusalem (accommodation)

Brisbane, Australia
12 posts
Save Topic
Female travelling alone to Jerusalem (accommodation)

Hi,

In June I will be travelling to Jerusalem to study, but will be arriving in Jerusalem a few days before the study program begins. As someone who hasn't previously travelled to The Middle-East, I'm looking for some advice and feedback on accommodation in Jerusalem that is comfortable, and safe for a young female travelling alone (preferably close to Mt Scopus).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, along with any travelling advice as well.

Thanks!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,315 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female travelling alone to Jerusalem (accommodation)

If you are looking for something close to Mt. Scopus, I assume you will be at Hebrew U. There is really nothing close to the campus in terms of hotels. ( well, the Dan Jerusalem is, but they may be above your budget) I suggest you post your budget ( in $ or shekels) and we will make suggestions. Personally, I think you shoudl stay in the downtown area--there is more to do and see and easier transportation. You will have plenty of time on campus when the program starts.

I know many will automatically suggest you stay in the Abraham hostel. Since you are, I assume, going into dorms, you may want to stay in a nicer hotel for a few nights--before the program. BTW Israel is safe for females of all ages!

Brisbane, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Female travelling alone to Jerusalem (accommodation)

I'm honestly open to any suggestions - the accommodation doesn't necessarily have to be near the Hebrew U (I just thought that might have been the best option).

For the moment i'm looking at a budget of $100-150 AU per night. I definitely would prefer to stay in a nicer hotel for the few nights rather than a hostel.

Great to be reassured that the safety of single travelling females in Israel is nothing to worry about!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Female travelling alone to Jerusalem (accommodation)

Israel is probably a lot safer than your home town at night... I (female) sometimes work late and catch the last bus from Jerusalem to my home town (30 km away) at midnight. I have no fear whatsoever walking from my workplace to the bus station at that hour.

Just use your common sense and you'll be fine.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female travelling alone to Jerusalem (accommodation)

If you're planning to do some tourist things before your study programme begins, definitely don't go for something around Mt Scopus - the only thing of interest to you up there is the university and it's relatively far from the rest of the points of interest in the city.

Jerusalem is a very comfortable city to be in as a single woman. Any place to stay generally recommended to tourists would also be fine for a single woman - though I'd avoid staying in the Old City, as at night it's relatively deserted and you may feel relatively less comfortable walking there alone.

While I understand the desire to be in a hotel, a hostel might actually be a good idea, as then you'll meet other people to hang out with. Most hostels have private rooms available so no need to have a dorm-type experience.

avigail

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Female travelling alone to Jerusalem (accommodation)

I also recommend to stay at the city center for those days. A good place is the Abraham Hostel. There are dorms there, but you can also rent a private room - this suits your budget.

Book your hotel ASAP when you know your dates, many hotels may be fully booked around June.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,315 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Female travelling alone to Jerusalem (accommodation)

Okay, I just checked. 1 AUS $ is equivalent to 1.04 American $--so lets say they are the same! With your budget you are maybe going to be able to get a room in a budget regular hotel--or you may need Abraham hostel. When are you coming. ( BTW Abraham is NOT Kosher if that means anything to you)

troy mi
Level Contributor
909 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Female travelling alone to Jerusalem (accommodation)

The YMCA Three Arches across from the King David Hotel is always a good choice for a single female traveler because of its location, value and opportunity to meet others. Around the corner a bit is Beit Shmuel Guesthouse - part of the Progressive Movement

8. Re: Female travelling alone to Jerusalem (accommodation)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 05:16