We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of foodie things in Jerusalem

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of foodie things in Jerusalem

Just a couple of nice foodie things in Jerusalem:

As some may have noticed, the "Halva Kingdom" has been expanding in Mahane Yehuda market - now with 2 branches. A couple of days ago I saw that they have now opened a "Tehina Kingdom" opposite the original Halva Kingdom stall. There is a working sesame seed press in this store, and there is fresh tehina literally on tap, which you can taste on a spoon. Mmmmm. This is a fun thing to see for kids. They seem to be marketing flavoured tehina (pesto tehina, amba tehina, chimichuri tehina...). I didn't try them, I guess I am somewhat skeptical about the possibility of improving on tehina with lemon and garlic, but on the other hand, these are the people who invented about 30 flavours of halva... However, the plain tehina I tasted was nice.

Also, I might have mentioned this here before, but for an "authentic" and delicious food experience I continue to recommend 'Hasandwich shel Rashel" at 17 Derech Beit Lehem in the Baka neighbourhood. It is a small family-run cafe serving fantastic Tunisian Jewish food, all cooked by the mother of the family. They are open from lunchtime until around 7pm; seating is available at the bar inside or at two outside tables. There is hot food, such as couscous with vegetables and optional meat, stuffed vegetables, and chicken sofrito. There are also soups and sandwiches - their Tunisian sandwich is very popular. Price is around 60 shekels for a hot meat dish served with bread and a dip or two on the side. The cafe has no English signs (they do speak some English) - but you will find it on Derech Beit Lehem between Miriam HaHashmonit and Gedalya streets, with a green awning. Kosher, meat.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
369 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of foodie things in Jerusalem

Thank you so much for the recommendation avigail.

I have just googled halva, is it what is mentioned a sweet dish?

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of foodie things in Jerusalem

I can second the recommendation for Hasandwich shel Rachel.

Halva is definitely sweet, about as sweet as it gets! It's the sweet, solid version of tehina.

The big news in this neighborhood, food-wise and general hanging out-wise, is the upcoming opening on May 1 of the Jerusalem Train Station complex right at the beginning of Emek Refaim / Derech Beit Lechem. This will include several cafes and restaurants, some of which (as things stand now) will be open on Shabbat, considerably expanding the options for those who are looking for that. It will also include kosher eating options, so hopefully everyone will be happy. And that's apart from art galleries, play areas and so on.

timesofisrael.com/the-trains-in-the-station/

Just to make it crystal clear: This is the OLD site of the original Jerusalem train station. This isn't a functional train station now, and definitely not to be confused with the current functioning train station for Jerusalem, which is in Malha in the southwest of the city close to the mall.

england
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of foodie things in Jerusalem

my waistline is going to rapidly expand!!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,918 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of foodie things in Jerusalem

PRSV, I almost fell off my chair with excitement when I read your post that the old railway station is due to open on May 1. My "thing" is old railway stations and of course I've been avidly following the work.

Finding a way to tie it in with my day job, I called the municipality spokesman's office to find out if it really is opening on May 1, and was told it's only "running in" on May 1 and won't be opening properly for several more weeks. So we'll need to hold our breath just a bit longer!

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of foodie things in Jerusalem

Shuffaluff - thanks for the update, we'll just have to be patient

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of foodie things in Jerusalem

Hasandvich shel Rahel -- lunch only or dinner as well?

Sorry -- just saw that they are open until about 7:00 p.m.

Douglas Duckett

Edited: 24 April 2013, 16:38
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of foodie things in Jerusalem

So cool, both terminal stations of the 1892 Ottoman Jerusalem-Jaffa train line became a food & leisure complexes. Here's HaTachana (literally "The station") complex in Tel Aviv: http://hatachana.co.il/Home

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
369 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple of foodie things in Jerusalem

Thank you for the halva explanation PRSV

The train complex looks a dream. I do hope the opening is during my stay!

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
62 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple of foodie things in Jerusalem

For my money, "Kingdom of Halva" is a highly overpriced establishment with very little justifications. Their Halva, like most commercial Halvas you will find, is sugar-based and not honey-based, and they sell it in the open air which is critical for Halva because of oxidation and change of texture, to the point of making a good commercial brand preferable. If you insist on buying Halva outside, better and (much) cheaper Halva vendors can be found in the Old City.

As for "Hasandwich shel Rashel", i can only say that i went there many years ago after it was massively hyped for the couscous that she prepared there (and maybe still does) - and what a HUGE disappointment that was for a bloke who used to eat authentic Tunisian couscous every Friday in his youth.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple of foodie things in Jerusalem

yarrz, can you recommend nice and authentic places in Jerusalem to eat?

I printed the first post, but after you post put my printing into a trash basket...