We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chanukah

California
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Chanukah

Will be visiting in late November for 6 days with 2 days during Chanukah (November 28th and 29th)n Will the Museums , stores, and sightseeing be closed during this time?

Is this a good time to visit weather wise? It will be my first visit

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chanukah

Chanuka is a very minor holiday in Judaism. As such, nothing will close due to that holiday.

November is a fine time to visit Israel. You may get a couple of rainy days, but the temps will be ideal for touring at that time of year.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chanukah

I can't believe Hanukkah starts the day before Thanksgiving here in the US. Uggghhhh

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
122 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chanukah

just take into consideration that schools are off for most of channuka, so many of the tourist attractions and malls will be packed with families.

California
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chanukah

Will the students be out of school in the first two days ?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chanukah

Chanukah is a great time to visit. There is a lot going on because children are out of school but everything is open for tourists.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chanukah

Studens at the universities usually have the first day of Hanukkah off.

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chanukah

silCa , your question about the first 2 days makes me think to explain that Chanukah is technically not a "holiday" (or holy day) but a "festival". That means that the work restrictions that apply to the first day of the holiday (or 2 days,but only outside of Israel) do not apply so there are no widespread store or attraction closures like there might be for holidays like Shavuot (which is today!)

November is generaly a good time to visit, but it is in the cooler rainy season, For me that meant that I once had to cancell a trip to Masada because the extensive rains in the north caused major river overflow and the access roads near the Dead Sea were flooded for a couple of days.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chanukah

Chanuka is indeed a very minor holiday. In some parts of the world it's hyped up as a counterbalance to (or some kind of equivalent of) Christmas, because it usually falls about the same time. If it weren't for that, most non-Jewish people outside Israel would probably never have heard of Chanuka. Bottom line, everything will be open as normal throughout the holiday, but as said, places catering to kids will be crowded.

California
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chanukah

Thanks very much everyone for your contribution.

Booked a non refundable ticket for November.

Hope there won't be any safety issues affecting my travel. I had to cancel last November due to conflicts in Israel. Received full credit for my flight.

Edited: 16 May 2013, 02:16
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,769 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chanukah

The first day of Chanukah kids are in school so there is less crowding at sites. In recent years November has been a continuation if summer but slightly cooler(80's). It's not usually the rainy season but as mentioned it might rain, although in recent years it hasn't. This is one of the best months to visit weatherwise.

Hopefully this time your trip will become a reality. You are sure to have a great time.

Chana

Israel