We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moderately Priced Restaurants

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Framingham MA
Level Contributor
17 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Moderately Priced Restaurants

Staying at the Dan Panorama with a group of 12 for 3 nights. Looking for suggestions for moderately priced restaurants in that area (within 1.6 km).

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,438 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moderately Priced Restaurants

What type of food do you like? There are several in the Mamilla Mall for instance. The Kedma (vegetarian/diary) and Herzl (meat) for instance are within walking distance.

Chana

Israel

Framingham MA
Level Contributor
17 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moderately Priced Restaurants

For most of us, this is our first trip to Israel so we are looking more for a native experience and to meet Israelis, not all tourists.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moderately Priced Restaurants

As a Jerusalemite, I would say that all Jerusalemites have a favourite Chumusiya (restaurant that sells Humus). If your trying to get an authentic Jerusalem dining experience I would try and get to one of the favourites such as the original Pinati on King George (my favourite, though they opened a chain of restaurants with the same name but with boring food and no atmosphere, make sure that you go to the one on King George if you're going to Pinati Its main rivals are Teami on Shamai street or Rahmo on Eshkol street. These are mainly lunchtime options. In terms of supper options things are a bit more difficult because, to be honest with you, Israelis tend to eat at the same places as the tourists, I would take a stroll down Emek Refaim street , there are so many options there and its about as touristy as anywhere else.

And one last thing; two people I know got stomach bugs after eating at Herzl's Bar and Grill in Mamilla, don't go there.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,362 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moderately Priced Restaurants

As said above, unless you are going to get on a bus, go to a neighborhood and find a little restaurant located in a strip shopping mall someplace ( more than 1.6 km away) you are not going to find someplace that is all locals. It just doesn't exist. Also, the one or two mostly neighborhood places that I do know ( i.e. there is one down Gaza, or one in the German Colony) do not have a. English menus or b. seating for 12 people!

Be aware also, that unless you make reservations in advance, you will not necessarily be able to get a table for 12 in "any" restaurant during the height of the dinner hour ( after 7:30-8PM)

Finally, in the Rechavia neighborhood ( where the Dan Panorama is ) you find a huge number of Anglo Israelis. This means you may be siting near people speaking fluent English BUT they have lived in Jerusalem for 10, 20 or 30 years.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moderately Priced Restaurants

For a place that really only caters to locals- you will know you have found it when: there may or may not be a menu, the menu will only be in Hebrew, the staff may or may not speak any English.

Israel isn't the kind of place where there are 'tourist' restaurants and 'local' restaurants. If you are downtown, you will hear as much Hebrew as other languages spoken.

I had a great meal at Herzl's in Mamilla in March. No problems that way but 'moderately priced' certainly not.

The chain Café Café is more moderately priced (dairy) and I love the food there. Hillel café, there is one on Hillel street, is also very good and moderately priced. Down in Nachalat Shiva there are quite a few smaller restaurants, just wander around and peruse the menus which are on display right on the street to choose what you want to eat.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,807 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moderately Priced Restaurants

Try Rahmo, the most "Israeli" place in Nahalat Shiva. Another nice one is Tmol Shishom.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moderately Priced Restaurants

Try looking at Jerusalem restaurants on trip advisor it allows you to search by cost. I am not being facetious, I find it useful to enable me to choose a number of restaurants at a variety of price ranges each time I go to Israel. One tip is to look for longevity in a restaurant as you will find many a one season wonder on the listings. Also take with a pinch of salt reviews by posters who only have ever posted once and done so to be overly critical.

8. Re: Moderately Priced Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 05:17