We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dome of Rock- non muslim I took arabic for 1 year in college

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Dome of Rock- non muslim I took arabic for 1 year in college

from my reading only way for non-muslim to enter the dome of the rock is thru an elevated walkway that has 2-3 hour lines and is only open 2-3 hours a day sunday-thursday, is this correct?

Then I read there are 5-6 entrances for Muslims only? Are these electronic entrances like a subway where you need a card or guarded entrances where you show some type of Muslim id? Only Israeli Muslims or all Muslims?

What are hours for these entrances?

Are they listed on any maps?

I did take 2 semesters of Arabic, if American Muslims can get in, can I apply for this card?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dome of Rock- non muslim I took arabic for 1 year in college

There is no entry card to the Temple Mount. You simply enter the area via a bridge located immediately adjacent to the Western Wall Plaza. Hours are severely limited.

No non-Muslims are permitted entry into any of the buildings on the Temple Mount. Period. That includes both the Dome of the Rock and al-Aqsa Mosque.

The ONLY entrance you, as a non-Muslim, may use to enter the Temple Mount is via the entrance I mentioned above. You may, however, exit elsewhere. All other entrances are used ONLY by Muslims.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dome of Rock- non muslim I took arabic for 1 year in college

To further elaborate - there are no special entry permits, no cards and no way for a non-Muslim to enter any of the buildings on the Temple Mount - regardless of what you may have heard or read.

Anyone who is not obviously allowed entry to the guards will be questioned (sometimes at length) on Muslim religion and prayers, etc.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,721 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dome of Rock- non muslim I took arabic for 1 year in college

What I am reading is that you feel since you took Arabic in college you may be able to fake being a Muslim to gain entry through a Muslim only entrance.

Please, please, please do not even think if such an activity. If you are caught there could be severe ramifications both personally and more globally. ( and yes, one person can cause global problems)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,143 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dome of Rock- non muslim I took arabic for 1 year in college

Arabic speaking Moslems from any country are permitted to enter from any gate except the one mentioned above. All gates arr clearly marked on all city maps. You will be questioned/tested on the Koran in Arabic. The guards are native Arabic speakers do no pulling a fast one. There are no electronic cards, just good old Policemen doing their job. Once on the Mount you will subject to additional questioning if deemed you are doing something illegal in the eyes of the Waqf who are the Temple Mount custodians.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,499 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dome of Rock- non muslim I took arabic for 1 year in college

Do you really think being able to speak a bit of Arabic will be sufficient to allow you to enter? Many Israeli Jews study Arabic at school, or have parents who came from Arab countries and learnt the language at home. What does being able to speak Arabic prove? Certainly not that one is Muslim. Unless you really are Muslim, and can recite prayers etc. in answer to the interrogation you'll go through, as rdglady says, don't even think about trying it.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dome of Rock- non muslim I took arabic for 1 year in college

Even if you were fluent in Arabic, if you are not a Muslim you are not allowed entry to the buildings and can only use the one entrance to the Temple Mount. Make no mistake, you will be stopped and questioned before you set a foot on Temple Mount if you try to enter by one of the other gates. People approach all the time and are turned away. If you are in anyway dishonest or trying to 'pull a fast one on the police' you are playing a dangerous game. The police take security very, very seriously in Israel. It is no joke and it is no game. Enter the Temple Mount at the allowable gate and times like everyone else and enjoy your visit.

7. Re: Dome of Rock- non muslim I took arabic for 1 year in college

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 06:20