We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount of Olives tour ideas

Boston
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mount of Olives tour ideas

How much time I should spend on Mt. of Olives? My research shows following sites are interesting to see: Dome of the Ascension, Garden of Gethsemane, Church of Mary Magdalene, Dominus Flevit Church and Basilica of the Agon. Am I missing anything? I see lots of good pictures that have golden panoramic view of Jerusalem, especially the Old City. I guess they are taken from Mt. Olives. How about Tayelet Haas Promenade? Which one is better for Jerusalem overlooking? I might want to go there anyway. What is the best time to see the Old City? Sunrise or sunset? I guess should be in the morning since it is on the east side of the Old City.

Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Yoav Rotem Private Tours Israel
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount of Olives tour ideas

Of the two lookout points, the Mount of Olives is superb and far more dramatic than the [beautiful] view from the Haas Promenade.

Start your morning on the Mount of Olives at 8am. The morning hours are the best in terms of the view. Do NOT bother visiting that area in the afternoon when the sun will be directly in your eyes.

The primary Christian holy places in the area include: "Mosque" of the Ascension, Pater Noster Church, Dominus Flevit and the Basilica of the Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane. I suggest walking down the Palm Sunday Route. Stop briefly at the Jewish Cemetery on your left and Dominus Flevit on your right before reaching the Garden of Gethsemane. The Russian Orthodox Church of Mary Magdelene has severely limited opening hours, so if you're interested in that one, you'll want to check hours in advance.

And, finally, when leaving the Garden of Gethsemane and walking towards the Old City, you'll find on your right the Tomb of the Virgin Mary.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount of Olives tour ideas

Sandemann's offers a Mount of Olives guided group tour for a reasonable fee. Check out their website.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 09:36
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,717 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount of Olives tour ideas

The view from inside the Dominus Flevit church looking out towards the Dome of the Rock is a 'must see'. Just google for images of it and you'll no doubt recognise having seen pictures of it many times. :)

Boston
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount of Olives tour ideas

Thanks all! I will do it in the morning for sure. Do you guys think half day should be good enough to walk around and take some photos?

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,717 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount of Olives tour ideas

I'd say yes, depending how long you linger at each spot. Make sure you start at the top and walk down. The Mt. of Olives is VERY steep.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount of Olives tour ideas

When my wife and I were researching things to do in Jerusalem for our trip we were really unsure of what to do about the Mount of Olives. Normally we would prefer to just walk around on our own but we heard it might not be safe to visit Mount of Olives on our own so we decided we would join the Sandemans tour newjerusalemtours.com/daily-tours/mount-of-o… We basically checked with the tourism office just inside Jaffa gate to make sure when and where to be and then waiting for a Sandemans employee to show up outside the gate. When we approached him he told us there was only 2 other people already booked for the tour already but it was still going and before we left another 10-12 people showed up last minute. It was such a worthwhile experience for us. Not only did we get to see everything we wanted but our guide was super good and provided information that went beyond a normal tour. We took a van from Jaffa gate up to the top of the Mount of Olives and walked down but after the tour was over he even offered to give a guided tour of the Via Delarosa on the return walk to Jaffa gate. Having done the tour I can safely say we could have just taken a taxi up and walked down ourselves but we definitely would have had a difficult time finding some of the places, we wouldn't have gotten the great info we did from our guide, and we did feel more secure walking around in a group.

Boston
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount of Olives tour ideas

How long is the tour and when does it start? One thing important to me is that I want to do some photography work in the early morning, say around 8am. Will the tour start then? Also what is the safety concern by just walking there by ourselves?

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mount of Olives tour ideas

It's an afternoon tour. You could check whether Zion tours offers a morning tour.

newjerusalemtours.com/daily-tours/mount-of-o…

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mount of Olives tour ideas

If you want time to photograph you should probably go alone or with a private guide. A group won't wait for you. Sandeman's is an afternoon tour but the tour is best done in the morning especially if you want to take pictures.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mount of Olives tour ideas

If you are a photographer, don't even think of going to the Mount of Olives in the afternoon. You'll want the correct light - and that's in the morning.

I disagree regarding safety concerns at the Mount of Olives. Nothing to worry about there, but do be alert to the possibility of pick-pocketing at the overlook.

If you want to better understand what you're looking at, then, of course, a guided experience would be ideal for you.