We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dressing Code for Temple Mount

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Dressing Code for Temple Mount

Hi, Can I wear long dress cover my legs and birkenstock sandals for visiting Temple Mount? Or I need to wear long trousers and shoes? for my shoulders, can I cover with scarf?

For my husband, do he need to wear long trousers as well?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dressing Code for Temple Mount

A long dress or trousers that cover your knees is fine. Also a scart to cover your upper arms and chest. Men should wear long pants. Sandals are fine. Best to wear a blouse that covers your upper arms and chest so that you are modestly dressed in the Old City. In the heat, you reduce the need for extra layers of clothing.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
819 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dressing Code for Temple Mount

Perhaps my sister and I had a bad experience but after queuing for over an hour to get admitted to the mount my sister and another australian girl were singled out and told they had to hire a wrap to put around their waist as their skirts (long) were considered 'see through' by the officials. They were the only two in our group wearing skirts and they were both cotton and IMO and everyone elses they were not see through. I wrapped my pashmina around my sister and another person lent the Australian girl a large wrap so that neither had to hire one. It was quite a humiliating experience and my advice would be to wear trousers as they did not seen to cause offence.

I wore a tee shirt with small capped sleeves but had brought a pashmina to cover my shoulders if asked. They did not seem bothered about bare arms although my shoulders were covered.

Shoes weren't a problem I wore sandals.

From what I can remember all men in our group wore long trousers.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dressing Code for Temple Mount

tks, then can i wear shorts and no sleeves if I walk around the old city? (Except Temple Mount)

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dressing Code for Temple Mount

for visiting all churches in Jerusalem & Bethelam, men must wear long trousers and women must wear long dress cover up to knees, arms & chest, if not, men and women should put on scarf. Am I right?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dressing Code for Temple Mount

It is advised to wear clothing that covers the knees be it pants or a dress/skirt in the Old City. Woman do not have to wear a dress. It is a holy city where locals dress modestly and I believe that should be respected. Shorts and sleeveless tops are not recommended. A shawl is always good to have with you in case a church or or other religious site demands it.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dressing Code for Temple Mount

I often wear shorts and a sleeveless shirt when touring the old city, especially in the heat of the summer. Never had a problem. In my purse, I carry a pashmina to cover my shoulders and sometimes I carry a very light wrap-around skirt. That way I am comfortable but when going to holy places, I have a cover up with me. You will see plenty of tourists in shorts, both men and women, in the old city. In addition to being a holy city, Jerusalem is a modern city in the modern world.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,675 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dressing Code for Temple Mount

There are shorts and shorts, and there are women and women. Very short shorts, more like underwear, on a 19-year-old don't send out the same signals as shorts a couple of inches above the knee on a middle-aged woman. Use your common sense, and if you fall into the first category you can expect a lot of unwanted attention.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dressing Code for Temple Mount

Shuffaluff, you took the words out of my mouth! Just to add, if you are a woman planning to explore on your own (rather than in a tour group), it's particularly advisable to veer on the side of modesty. Religious places or not, most Old City residents tend towards conservative dress codes and making a gesture in that direction will make you more likely to be treated respectfully in return.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,617 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dressing Code for Temple Mount

There have been reports of woman wearing slacks to put on a wrap. Therefore I agree that you should either wear a long skirt or slacks and have a wrap in you just in case. Be sure your shirt reaches your clavical and that you can cover your arms till your shoulders. There are no regular rules on the Temple Mount and therefore modest dress can be interpreted in different ways from one day to the next.

Chana

Israel

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dressing Code for Temple Mount

I want to back up the point made by Shuffaluff and avigailchaya. I've had conversations with young people in this part of the world (Palestinians and Jews, by the way) where it's been very obvious that they see a young woman wearing short and revealing clothes as fair game for their advances. For sure the world shouldn't be that way, and everyone has the right to wear what they like where they like (in normal public spaces, not places of worship). But if you're on vacation here you probably want to have a good time and avoid hassle rather than make a point about freedom of dress. So yes - a little on the restrained side is a good thing.