We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prepared foods for takeaway/carry-out

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
prepared foods for takeaway/carry-out

Our only friday ( aug 9th) in Jerusalem will be spent in Mahane Yehuda market in the afternoon then at the Western Wall for Shabbat. Then next day we wake up early for day tour of Dead Sea/Masada.

Although we'd prefer a restaurant, (ie, Adom or Cinemateque),we are thinking the most reasonable choice for dinner on friday night may be take-out food in our rented condo (since we need an early bedtime). So finally to my question: are there recommended places to pick up prepared foods ,ie Mahane Yehuda, to have for friday dinner "at home"? (FYI our condo is walking distance from mahane market) Id also like to get lunch for the tour to Masada next day.

Sorry for the wordiness...I never know how to make a long story short ...Looking forward to your always excellent advice. Thank you!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prepared foods for takeaway/carry-out

Machane Yehuda will have many stalls selling take away prepared food, perfect for your Shabbat dinner in your condo. You will be spoiled for choice! I did this pretty consistently when we were on a recent trip, picking up take away food at Machane Yehuda, after all when you are on holidays, it is nice to have the convenience of a kitchen but you don't want to spend hours cooking.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: prepared foods for takeaway/carry-out

Thanks. It is what I envisioned and wanted to confirm. My mouth is watering as I type this ...Cant wait to try it all/ or much as I can, even if I dont know what exactly I've ordered. On my to review the food section of my hebrew-travel-phrase book.

Best,

Adriana

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,904 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prepared foods for takeaway/carry-out

Just be sure to get to the market by early afternoon on Friday before stalls start closing for Shabbat. When preparing food for the next day take a small cooler with ice pack for foods that do not spoil without refrigeration or you risk having the food go off due to the heat.

Chana

Israel

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prepared foods for takeaway/carry-out

adr

Very different way to have a lovely experience without preparations is to use on of 19 offers at eatwith. This way you are having dinner (for a decent price) with an Israeli family and may get new friends as well.

http://www.eatwith.com/#!/list/israel

5. Re: prepared foods for takeaway/carry-out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 05:16