We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourist site hours on secular holidays

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
tourist site hours on secular holidays

I plan to be in Jerusalem for the last few days of December 2013 until the 2nd week in January 2014. I am planning a detailed itinerary and I am trying to confirm if tourist sites have regular visitor hours on Wednesday, January 1, 2014. In particular, the Israel Museum, the Knesset, Yad Veshem and the Chagall Windows at Hadassah Hospital. I've emailed each and have not heard back yet.

And, generally speaking, is New Years Day a regular work day in Israel?

Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Yoav Rotem Private Tours Israel
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours
Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tourist site hours on secular holidays

Yes, January 1 is a completely normal working day here, unless it happens to fall on the Sabbath and then it's a normal Sabbath :)

While some people, mainly young, might be the worse for wear after partying the night before, for the most part you will barely be aware that it's New Year's Day.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,769 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tourist site hours on secular holidays

Jan. 1 - New Year's Day is just another day - a regular work day, banks and schools are open and tourist sites will be on a regular weekday schedule.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,792 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tourist site hours on secular holidays

The only thing that is closed for sure are the banks. Some shops may be partially closed for inventory but this is so random that it's hard to tell which ones and which hours.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,806 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tourist site hours on secular holidays

Yes, banks close on January 1 for annual stocktaking, or whatever it is banks do. But generally speaking, both December 25 and January 1 are normal working days in Israel and all tourist sites will be open.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tourist site hours on secular holidays

I am reviewing some of my old posts and as I firm up my itinerary, I have some additional questions - Is January 1st a regular day at Masada and the Dead Sea hotels?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,806 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tourist site hours on secular holidays

Yes, as already said, January 1 is a regular workday, except for banks. This year it falls on a Wednesday and will be indistinguishable from any other Wednesday. If any tourist sites, museums, whatever, close early or stay open late on Wednesdays, that is exactly what you'll get on January 1.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,905 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tourist site hours on secular holidays

Basically what are called secular holidays in the US are NOT observed in Israel. Israel, as a nation only observes the Jewish holidays. Christians and Muslims, of course, observe their holidays and necessary accommodations are made.

8. Re: tourist site hours on secular holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:21