We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Jerusalem

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Jerusalem

Hi all. I am planning to stay in Jerusalem and am looking at three ideas:

A. A bed and breakfast called Allenby2. The host and his wife seem to have a great deal of experience and good travel advice.

B. A downtown condo ... fairly close to the King David Hotel.

C. A house in the Ein Karem area.

This will be my first trip to Israel, and I am looking at walking and exploring Jerusalem sites and sounds, as well as taking a number of day or overnight trips.

Any suggestions on plusses and minuses on my ideas would be much appreciated. I am a solo female travelor - early 50's.

Thanks very much!

Travelgir

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Jerusalem

Location wise, option B is best.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Jerusalem

Stay centrally - option B..

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,064 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Jerusalem

I also agree on the second option as the best as far as location. Most everything is within walking distance. The other two options require taking public transportation to any site you wish to visit.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Jerusalem

Have to agree that #2 is your best choice. It is centrally located and you can walk from there to the Old City, German Colony, downtown Jerusalem and easily get public transportation to almost any place in the city.

Your second choice should be #1 which is not far from the Central Bus Station - but not walking distance to any sites you would probably want to see.

Ein Karem is a lovely neighborhood, but way out of the way.

Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Jerusalem

Thanks for your input, all. Is public transportation a difficult thing? Bed and breakfast is about half the cost of the condo.

Plus people ... and breakfast.

Anybody stayed with Allenby BB before?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Jerusalem

Public transportation is easy, safe and readily available in Jerusalem, except for Friday night and Saturday until nightfall. The B&B is a few minutes walk from the Central Bus Station and also from the light rail that can easily get you to the Old City. While you will not be "walking distance" from most sites, it's not that far and you would definitely get a much more "real" feel of living in Jerusalem. With such a large price difference I would have no qualms about staying there.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Jerusalem

Alternatively, you might consider staying at a B and B that is more centrally located. There are lots of them. Another option is to say at a guest house. They offer much less expensive accommodation and almost always include breakfast in the price (as do almost all hotels by the way). St. Andrews Scottish Guest House is very popular. You might also want to consider a hostel. Hostels in Israel are not oriented just towards 'youth', offer breakfast, are very inexpensive and you can get a private room with an ensuite for a fraction of the price of a hotel room. They also have group activities and other single travellers to meet. The best one in Jerusalem, in my opinion, is Abraham Hostel. Very centrally located, clean, and everyone from families to seniors stay there .

Boston
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Jerusalem

We booked a small hostel closed to Damascus Gate , called St. Thomas Home. It has only 3 min walking to the old city and offers breakfast, free gated parking as well. The limited reviews are good but i would expect it is very basic one.

9. Re: Staying in Jerusalem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 05:18