We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homestay in the old city?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Homestay in the old city?

I am planning a trip to Jerusalem in July next year when it would be Ramadhan. I would love to stay with a Muslim family in the old city just for the experience but can't find any organisation or tour operators who can arrange this. Can anyone help with this? Thanks in advance.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Homestay in the old city?

That sounds like a lovely idea, but I don't know of any formal body that organizes such things.

Perhaps through your mosque you could make some kind of contact.

As you may know, most of the Muslims families in the Old City live in very overcrowded conditions and many of them won't be in a position to offer hospitality to guests.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,395 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Homestay in the old city?

Why not try looking for accommodation through www.airbnb.com

You might possibly find something that suits you there. Even if it isn't in the Old City, you might possibly find something in Jerusalem, close to the Old City, that is with a Moslem family.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Homestay in the old city?

As an alternative, perhaps you could stay at the Hashimi Hotel in the Arab Quarter. Read the reviews, they are mixed, but this might be a good second choice.

I'm sure you know Ramadan starts in late June and these are long days. If you are lodging with Muslims, out of politeness you would need to fast during the daytime.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,325 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Homestay in the old city?

Pastor Al--my gut feeling, considering his name is that the OP is fasting himself so there is not a need to do anything out of politeness. I think he feels it would be neat to spend Ramadan in the Old City, ( and he wants a Muslim not Jewish , Christian or Armenian home.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Homestay in the old city?

Hey, our president is named Hussein. You never know.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Homestay in the old city?

Thank you all for the very useful advice and help. It's really appreciated. I will check the website out Heather and as you said if not inside the old city I might find a homestay near by which would be good enough.

PSRV I wish my mosque had any such contacts but none of the mosques that I know of would be in a position to help. I didn't actually know that the families in the old city live in over crowded conditions, that might explain why I can't find any homestays in the old city.

rdglady your gut feeling was absolutely right :) I will be fasting myself so it would be convenient if it's a Muslim family, otherwise wouldn't have any issues staying with a family of any other faith.

PastorAls I have heard very good things about Hashimi and if I don't find a homestay I would defnilty consider that.

7. Re: Homestay in the old city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:19