We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary question

USA
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary question

Family trip. Two teenage boys and parents. Trying to plan our itinerary. Thinking about:

Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday in Jerusalem

Drive to Ein Gedi Wednesday morning -- spend the rest of Wed and Thursday down there, staying at the Ein Gedi Kibbutz guest house

Friday morning drive to Rosh Pina -- spend rest of Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday in the Galil and Golan

Tuesday morning drive to Netanya and Zichron Yaakov, see both places and get to Tel-Aviv Tuesday night

Spend Wed, Thurs, Fri and Saturday in Tel-Aviv. Fly home Sunday morning.

What do you think? I don't want to stay in more hotels/cities. I am thinking we should subtract one day from Tel Aviv and add it to either Jerusalem or the Galil/Golan.

I would welcome any suggestions? Thanks.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
125 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary question

I would do this in the opposite direction starting in Tel Aviv going to the North, down to the Dead Sea/Masada/Ein Gedi then to Jerusalem. This is what we did this past summer:

Two nights in Tel Aviv

Three nights at a Kibbutz hotel in Galilee- visited Tel Dan, Safed, Rosh Pina. Golan Heights etc.

One night at a dead Sea Hotel.-next day at Masada/Ein Gedi then o/n in Jerusalem

Five more nights in Jerusalem.

You could of course spend less time in Jerusalem and more in Tel Aviv if that is where your interests lie but I would go in that direction. Some people like to relax on the beach at the end of vacation so you could always add a day or two at the end in Tel Aviv.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary question

I agree -- that's good advice. I always start in Tel Aviv and end in Jerusalem, which tends to be the emotional high-point of any trip to Israel. And it's almost as easy getting to the airport from Jerusalem as it is from Tel Aviv -- despite the TLV designation, the airport is between the cities, not in Tel Aviv.

That said, you have two teenage boys. If having a beach at the end is a good "carrot" for them, then you could end up in Tel Aviv, as lreidgreen suggests.

Douglas Duckett

Visiting Palm Springs, California, USA

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary question

Your way is fine and doable if you have a preference to start in Jerusalem. I think you need more time in Jerusalem though and would do a day less in Tel Aviv. Since this is not your first trip to Israel, this itinerary would work well for you. I suggest that if you are traveling with two teens you consider staying at Kfar Hanokdim on the western side of Masada. Great experience and your boys will love it. You can do a camel ride there, Bedouin hospitality and take in the desert sounds and sites.

I have prepared a pdf document for activities for children and teens. I know that you have been to Israel before but I last updated this document in Sept 2013 so it is pretty up to date and there are new sites and activities available. If you would like a copy send me your email in a private message and I will send it to you. I have no business connections with anywhere I recommend, just a traveller myself who has been lucky enough to take not only my own children, but small groups of younger teens on trips to Israel.

USA
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary question

Thanks for your suggestions. We will start in Jerusalem because we are having our younger son's Bar Mitzvah at the Kotel, and we are locked into a date (Monday) for that.

Your responses confirm what I suspected -- that we have too many days in TA and should move one day elsewhere. I was just not sure whether to move it to Jerusalem or to the North.

Any more suggestions would be most welcome. (Yes, we have been to Israel before -- but there are many of you who are much smarter about Israel travel than I am, even after having been to Israel a number of times).

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,904 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary question

Definitely take off a day or two from Tel Aviv. Perhaps one extra for the north (Golan) and Jerusalem for doing other things in those areas such as Herodian, Kfar Etzion from Jerusalem. A jeep tour, Umm al-Kunatir and De Karina in the Golan.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,313 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary question

Especially with the Bar Mitzvah ( Mazel Tov) you should add a day to Jerusalem since the Bar Mitzvah day will be a very different type of experience.

You may have shared this at some point--but when is this trip taking place.

USA
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary question

Thanks Rdglady. Trip is in June.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,313 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary question

Okay--definitely beach weather so I can see you spending part of the day just hanging out by the beach. ( even if you have one where you live in the US)

9. Re: Itinerary question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 06:19