We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food and drink questions

Level Contributor
600 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Food and drink questions

Is Decaf coffee served in restaurants?

Do restaurants routinely offer carry-out containers if you can't finish your meal?

And ... what kind of low and moderate restaurant choices would be available near the Central Bus Station?

What would I expect to pay for lunch and for supper in a low or moderately priced restaurant?

Thank-you. :)

Yoav Rotem Private Tours Israel
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours
Gil Regev - Tour Guide in Israel & Jordan
Food Tours, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours
Itay Shevach - Jerusalem Expert
City Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Israel By Mouth, Foot or Private Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips, Archaeology Tours
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,884 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food and drink questions

Yes you can get decaf in restaurants. Ask for cafe "blee cafine" ( without cafine) . Yes, you can get "doggie' bags. There is a food court IN the central bus station with a large variety of places to eat. Prices depend upon what you want. You can get a slice of pizza for $2.50, a burger, Chinese etc.( Sorry, I am blanking on prices--I don't usually eat there and have been back in the US for about 6 weeks) You are also not that far from Machne Yehuda ( the open shuk or market) where you can buy all kinds of fresh veggies and fruit.

Level Contributor
600 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food and drink questions

Oh ... this is all very good to know! Thank-you!

I am so glad that decaf is available. It wasn't, usually, other places I have travelled.

Do you know how late the food court is open in the Bus Station?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,781 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food and drink questions

A full meal of fast food runs from 10 shekels for a felafel to 45 shekels for a salad and drink. There is a great foodcourt in the CBS as well as several eateries outside to your left. Additionally there are places to eat all aling Jaffa St(runs from CBS to Old City).

Chana

Israel

Level Contributor
600 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food and drink questions

Oh, okay. That gives me a pretty good idea. I am wanting to budget about $25 a day for food and sodas/coffee (breakfast is included) ... so it sounds like I will be alright with that.

Do restaurants charge for water in Israel?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,884 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food and drink questions

Restaurants do not charge for tap water. Do not forget that if you go to a regular restaurant with waiter/waitress service that you need to tip 12-15% of the bill. I think that it is going to be hard to eat day after day on a $25 budget. Soda and coffee will add up. BTW Israel is hot. You need to lay off the soda and coffee and hydrate with 1.5-2 liters of WATER a day.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food and drink questions

Just be aware that sometimes decaf is instant Sanka. That has been changing and in many places now you can routinely get good "filtered" coffee. There are more Starbucks-like coffee places around. I tend to switch to tea when I'm in the Middle East.

And if your in a tourist location and there are no prices posted, ASK before you order.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,762 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food and drink questions

$25 a day will be tight, especially if you plan on a sit down meal every day, plus you will be in an apartment so won't have "free" breakfasts.

To stay in that budget you will have to stick to street food or supermarkets with only an occasional sit down meal.

Level Contributor
600 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food and drink questions

Thanks. I am "wanting" to eat within that budget - but if I go over now and again - that's okay too. It's just good, I think, to have a budget. People here have said that if you eat a good breakfast, you only need a very little lunch. I am wanting to sample all the great food I am reading about. :). But not every night. The Bed and Breakfast I am at also gives me kitchen privileges ... so I have all kinds of options to stick within a reasonable food budget - but thank-you for your comment ... maybe I will up my budget a bit right away. Rootbeer is like a staple for me. :)

I saw some of the restaurant threads ... wow ... loads of nice-sounding restaurants.

Yes - I tip well. Not to worry.

Here - we don't tip on fast food. What is customary in Israel?

Level Contributor
600 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food and drink questions

No, Oreets ... I am at a bed and breakfast. I have a full breakfast every morning. What made you think I was in an apartment?

So what does a sit-down meal usually cost?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,781 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food and drink questions

No rootbeer in Israel exceot in expensive specialty shops. You can live on fresh fruits and veggies with standard bread (looks like rye bread un a bag in the supermarket) cheese, tuna etc. Yes, eat a largw breakfast and you will bw full for most of the day. I highly recommend bringing a hydropack/camelbak which you can fill with tap water and ice just about anywhere, thus saving alot on purchasing drinks. This us very important during the hot season from April to November when you need to drink more than usual.

Chana

Israel