We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's funeral in Jerusalem this evening

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
Save Topic
Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's funeral in Jerusalem this evening

For anyone wondering what is going on, or trying to get anywhere in Jerusalem today, there is a MASSIVE funeral going on now (6 p.m.) for Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, who died today. It is no exaggeration to say that hundreds of thousands of people will attend. A lot of streets are closed. Don't plan on being able to get anywhere in a hurry.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,217 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's funeral in Jerusalem this evening

Many bus routes have been altered, re-routed, etc. and the light rail is NOT running from Ammunition Hill all the way to Mt. Herzl, in other words, most of the line has been shut down.

Even if you are not planning on using public transportation - if you are in Jerusalem this evening and planning to get anywhere, be prepared for delays and confusion.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's funeral in Jerusalem this evening

Do funerals always take place in Israel so soon after a person passes away? It seems as though family members who live a distance away might not have time to get there.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's funeral in Jerusalem this evening

Yes, it is very common. Jewish funerals always take place as soon as possible after death. If a person dies in the morning, the funeral often takes place that same day. Next day is more usual, for logistical reasons. Two days later would be only in exceptional circumstances, if family members have to come from abroad.

What isn't so common is the size of the funeral (number of people attending). Because Rabbi Ovadia Yosef had a huge number of followers and was the spiritual head of an important political party, this is a really big one!

jpost.com/National-News/Shas-spiritual-leade…

Edited: 07 October 2013, 16:35
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's funeral in Jerusalem this evening

Thanks for the info. It must be a sad occasion for many, but what a wonderful age to reach.

Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's funeral in Jerusalem this evening

I just read through three news reports which encapsuled this man's areas of influence ... will look at the one you sent out, too, Shuffaluff.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's funeral in Jerusalem this evening

News update, 7 p.m. Roads leading to Jerusalem are closed to private cars. People have fainted in the crush. The police are asking mourners not to climb on roofs and radio antennas (!!) - to get a good view - thereby endangering themselves and others.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's funeral in Jerusalem this evening

Heather, The practise of burials within a day or two of death is a Jewish custom and is done in most Jewish communities around the world, including mine in North America and I arranged for my aunts funeral in a similar fashion in England. Most communities will have special arrangements for paperwork. For example, in England you need a death certificate in order to bury someone but they take 3 or more days. Jews and Moslems get a special 'right to bury' certificate which they can get the same day and can submit the death certificate later. Fast burial is also a Moslem practice. People who can't attend the funeral, can attend the Shiva at the house. This is the 7 days of mourning where the mourners are at home and receiving visitors.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's funeral in Jerusalem this evening

I am always really interested to learn about your customs. Thanks for explaining that. I knew that it was quicker over in the Middle East - but I didn't realise that it could be the same day.

NJ
Level Contributor
552 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's funeral in Jerusalem this evening

Jewish burials are done quickly throughout the world (in observent Jewish communites) but in Israel there is an extra priority in Jewish law to have the body buried as soon as possible. There are often burials in Israel at night which is very uncommon in Jewish communities outside of Israel.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's funeral in Jerusalem this evening

Further update, Channel 2 news, 8 p.m.: Jerusalem police are saying 600,000 people are attending the funeral procession, which has not even reached the cemetery yet. I mention this only to explain the disruption which is taking place in Jerusalem now.

Because of the massive crowds blocking the roads, the hearse hasn't even started moving yet, even though the funeral procession officially began two hours ago.

I don't remember a funeral this big ever.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 18:04