We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations and travel within Israel

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
1 post
Save Topic
Accomodations and travel within Israel

I am planning on going to Israel the beginning of January. It has been a live-long dream for me, but I have several questions and hope I can find some answers:

1. I want to see of Israel as much as possible, including historical sites, the dead Sea, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, etc.

2. Aside from relaxing and sightseeing I would also enjoy a nice nightlife. I am a single female in her mid-fourties, yet much younger looking and really would be interested in meeting locals and have a fun time as well.

3. My budget is not too limited, but I would like to find the least expensive, yet comfortable enough accommodations possible.

I know I will love Israel either way, yet answers to some of these questions would be helpful. Thank you.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodations and travel within Israel

Nesichah

Welcome to the Israeli forum.

1. can we understand that you are going to use public transportation? Israel is rather small with extensive public transportation system. You should be aware that most of the transportation is not working from Friday afternoon until the night of Saturday. I suggest you print out a map of israel and put colored dots on the places you want to visit so that you can get a feeling what is in the north, south and middle.

2. The Israeli people are friendly and eazy to socialize with. I would say sometimes American feel that they go to far to fast..

3. For low budget you can search the youth hostels (much more than regular ones) or www.airbnb.com.

Enjoy!

Edited: 19 November 2013, 02:20
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodations and travel within Israel

1) Israel is a small country packed full of historical, religious and cultural sites. What are you able to do will depend on several things: what are your main interests? how long do you have in Israel? how are you planning to get around. Ideally you will have a minimum of 10 days in Israel. With 2 weeks you can see sites in the north and south of the country. With three weeks you can do leisurely touring and have plenty of time to add in additional sites such as Petra in Jordan. Public transit does not run 7 days a week as pointed out by Giora. Tel Aviv and Jerusalem are easy to get around. If you want to explore the Galilee or the Negev, then renting a car offers the most flexibility. Prices are reasonable and driving is easy with all signage in English as well as Hebrew and Arabic. Alternatively, you can take group bus tours to locations that are not so easy to get to with public transit or on Shabbat when there is no public transit.

2) Israelis are friendly and chatty. When I travel alone, I always meet locals and other travelers. While clubs are really geared for the 20something set, there are tons of bars, cafes, etc with music and activities where you can meet others.

3) The least expensive but comfortable accommodations are hostels. I am into my 50's and on a trip to Israel last March, I stayed in a youth hostel. Hostels are open to any age. It was much better accommodation than I had when my husband and I stayed in a B&B on our trip in Aug/Sept. For Jerusalem, I would suggest the Abraham Hostel- great for meeting other lone travelers and they have all kinds of tours and local activities including a pub crawl. Another choice could be Beit Shmuel, very basic with far fewer amenities but in a stunning location and clean and comfortable. Lots of youth groups stay here though. In Tel Aviv there are quite a few options including the Beachfront Hotel which really is more of a hostel but in a fantastic location right on the beach and in the heart of nightlife.

If you have an idea of where you want to go, we can help you with an itinerary. Typically a first timers itinerary would look something like this:

Tel Aviv/Yafo- Galilee- Jerusalem (with a day trip to the Dead Sea) This would be good for a trip of 8-11 days.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodations and travel within Israel

In Jerusalem my wife and I stayed at the Jerusalem Little Hotel www.jerusalem-little-hotel.com Not only was it one of the less expensive places we found to stay at but ts only a short walk from the Old City, Ben Yehuda Street is right there, taxis park nearby, the Nesher taxis from the airport pickup and drop off just behind it, and the Jerusalem light rail goes right past with a station a short walk away. If you are looking for nightlife there was a club just down the street and they blasted music it seemed until the sun came up.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodations and travel within Israel

For 1-2 day tours which you could pick up while in the country, see:

http://abrahamtours.com

http://www.eggedtours.com

Edited: 19 November 2013, 08:08
5. Re: Accomodations and travel within Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 05:18