We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving into Jerusalem or not

Burlington, Vermont
9 posts
Save Topic
driving into Jerusalem or not

Hi, I read there are parking lots outside the old city that you can park at to have access to site see. I am in Vered Jericho, with a car. Debating whether to stay in Jerusalem or drive back to the kibbutz I am at. I do not like city driving. Any suggestions please. Thanks so much

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving into Jerusalem or not

There are two parking lots below the Mamila Mall right outside the Jaffa Gate. However, if your question is about today, I have no idea what the condition of the streets is and if the lots are open as usual.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving into Jerusalem or not

Are you from Kalkan? Beautiful place, I miss it.

To reinforce Oreets' comment - if you are talking about tonight please don't try to reach Jerusalem. The temperature will drop below freezing and the roads will be very dangerous. Tomorrow morning check conditions here or through the media.

Burlington, Vermont
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving into Jerusalem or not

No, not from kalkan not sure why it says that. I was just there for a few weeks house sitting, next house sit is in kas, but first Jerusalem. I am hoping to arrive tomorrow afternoon. I am near Jericho this eve. Google maps shows the roads are open now. Are you there? What is the cost of those parking lot's that orerts !mentioned. Do you know? Ahh the challenges of big cities. Thank you for helping out.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving into Jerusalem or not

Roads are open but in the morning there should be a freeze in Jerusalem and thus driving would be very dangerous without snow chains, the police might seal the entrance for private cars in this case.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,022 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving into Jerusalem or not

Roads are NOT open. You may be able to drive into certain areas of the city tomorrow afternoon, but you should check a site such as Ynet or adk an Israeli to check with *955 for road reports. The danger ad mentioned is ice, fallen trees, uncleared roads, etc. If possible put off you visit to Jerusalem to Monday.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving into Jerusalem or not

The bigger concern right now is that the roads will be icy and the overwhelming majority of local drivers have no idea of how to drive in these conditions, so even if you do know how to manage on icy roads, you have to deal with people who don't making the entire exercise that much more dangerous.

There are still many highways closed, they will be opened sporadically and then closed again if needed.

As frustrating as it is - right now your best bet is to stay put.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving into Jerusalem or not

Chana,

The road (hwy 1) from Vered Yericho to Jerusalem is open, and so are the main streets in Jerusalem, I witnessed this today.

Having said that, ice conditions should evolve in the morning thus the police might block the entry road to Jerusalem - look at my original post.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving into Jerusalem or not

Amos--the news reports are saying that the roads will be closed to private vehicles and open ONLY for public transport.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving into Jerusalem or not

rdglady - those reports relate to hwy 1 west - from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv. Hwy 1 east, from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea is wide open.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving into Jerusalem or not

Just now the roads are still icy but within a couple of hours they should be passable with care in most areas, certainly along main arteries.

Thousands of homes in Jerusalem are still without power (my own included, I continue to be a "refugee"). There are electric lines down on the sidewalks in several areas. Really not a day to come to Jerusalem if you don't absolutely have to.