We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety Walking around Jerusalem with 2 kids

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
E G
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
128 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Safety Walking around Jerusalem with 2 kids

I'm a mother with traveling with 2 kids (12+17) - we have a free day on Saturday and have time to walk around. I am concerned about safety issues since we wont be with out tour group. Is it safe to go to the Muslim section? I saw a post about the wonderful Viennese Cafe but am not sure about the area. Thanks for some advice. E

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety Walking around Jerusalem with 2 kids

It is safe, but could be crowded with people so stay together. Watch for pickpockets in the Old City.

It sounds like you are looking for the Austrian Hospice on the Via Dolorosa.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g293983-d…

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety Walking around Jerusalem with 2 kids

I was just thinking that you will probably all want to stay together to talk about things you are seeing. But it couldn't hurt to have a backup plan in case someone gets separated (I know what 17 year olds are like!). Maybe you could work out a place to meet if you do get separated - the Western wall - or one of the Gates of the old city.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety Walking around Jerusalem with 2 kids

Saturday is filled with visitors so your problem will be avoiding the crowds. You can enjoy and walk around freely. The Austrian Hospice on El Wad, corner of Via Dolorosa is fun with a great view from the roof. Enjoy!

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety Walking around Jerusalem with 2 kids

You should find it safe and fascinating to walk around the Old City during the day (at night it's also basically safe, but deserted and may feel a bit spooky when you don't know the area). As foreign visitors you will be welcomed by almost everyone you meet.

Even during the day, I would suggest you stick to the internal roads and alleys that have shops along them and don't wander along long alleys that only have homes - again, not because of any significant danger but just because you may feel uncomfortable.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,675 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety Walking around Jerusalem with 2 kids

The greatest danger at the moment is the piles of snow on the sidewalks. As you may know, we had a massive snowfall last week, the heaviest since records began. Even after a couple of brilliantly sunny days, there are still huge heaps of snow everywhere, and it's probable that there will still be some, and lots of slush, by Saturday. In past years, even an average snowfall is in evidence a week later, and it wouldn't surprise me if there's still plenty around when you are here.

(This refers to Jerusalem in general; I haven't been in the Old City since it snowed and I don't know what conditions are like there.)

Edited: 18 December 2013, 06:30
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,617 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety Walking around Jerusalem with 2 kids

The Old City is perfectly safe in all aspects. Crowds are a problem and if it's raining the pavement is slippery. But other than that no worries. I would not get flustered if you can't find a child your's ages. Just tell them to be at Jaffa Gate at a certain hour if they get lost. Problem solved. Not clear what you are looking for in the Moslem Quarter which, other than the Christian Via Dolorosa and market has nothing really to offer if you are not on a guided tour. In other words the areas a tourist visits have not safety issues.

Enjoy!

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,215 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety Walking around Jerusalem with 2 kids

You have nothing to worry about - as others have said there will be lots of people out and about.

Where exactly are you interested in going? Are you going to the Moslem Quarter only to go to the coffee shop at the Austrian Hospice or do you have other sites in mind?

England, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety Walking around Jerusalem with 2 kids

Depending what (or what may) interest you there is a lot to see in the Muslim Quarter. If you go to the Austrian Hospice make sure you visit the rooftop terrace (stairs or elevator) for a spectacular view of the old city [bettered only, IMO, from the Al-Quads University Jerusalem Studies Centre in Souk al-Qattanin (the Cotton Merchants’ Market) – half way down on the right, enter if the gate is open and climb up the stairs].

On the BBC last night Simon Reeve’s 'Pilgrimage' documentary ‘reached’ Jerusalem.

bbc.co.uk/iplayer/…

He visited the ‘nerve centre’ of the CCTV coverage of the Old City – day or night you cannot move without being observed by police/security – feel very, very safe.

Edited: 18 December 2013, 14:19
Jerusalem, Israel
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety Walking around Jerusalem with 2 kids

Totally safe, especially for tourists (the main income).

If you are at the Austrian Hospice make sure to go to the Sion Monestary down the road. It has beautiful underground pool and relics. Very "Indiana Jones" for young boys.

10. Re: Safety Walking around Jerusalem with 2 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 06:18