We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City of David Tour with 10 year olds

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
City of David Tour with 10 year olds

I am trying to decide if the City of David Tour would be enjoyable for 10 year olds. They are good travelers and enjoy guided tours however I didn't know if a 3 hour tour was a bit much. I love the idea of the water tunnel, just don't know if it is worth the time for just that. I know that there is much, much more to it and I would love to go, however I would appreciate some thoughts on how interesting the tour would be for kids.

I am planning to do the Kotel tunnel tour with them, because having done it, I do think they will enjoy that and it can be done in the evening when you aren't conflicted with other things that are open.

I also think the Burnt House will be good for them, as well as the Tower of David Light Show.

Thanks in advance.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Green Olive Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City of David Tour with 10 year olds

Walking in water with flashlights in Hezekiah's Tunnel in the City of David is a MAJOR highlight for kids your children's age. Do it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
189 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City of David Tour with 10 year olds

I have been wondering the same thing - I also have a 10-year-old. Just how cold is this water in winter? I can't imagine trudging through waist-high water for hours in 50-degree weather, but it does look like fun (I wish the tour were shorter.)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City of David Tour with 10 year olds

10 year olds would love Hezekiah 's tunnel. It is quite an adventure. When I went in May, 2012, there were many school groups enjoying the City of David. Their enthusiasm was PALPABLE!

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City of David Tour with 10 year olds

I am sure 10 year olds would love it also.

The only suggestion I would make is that you ensure everyone in your group is comfortable with the depth if the water. It does vary. One lady on the tour group we were with was a very short Asian lady and she didn't realise how high the water would come on her until she was in the tunnel. When you enter the ticket area you will see a model of a person with an indication of how high the water level is.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City of David Tour with 10 year olds

I am sure my kids would enjoy the tunnel, no question.

Unless I misunderstood something on the website, it seems that the only way to do the tunnel is as part of a tour. If that is the case the tour is three hours long. This is the part I am asking about. What is the rest of the time like for 10 year olds.

If I am wrong and we can do the tunnel without a three hour tour, I would love to know that.

I am trying to figure out if three hours on a tour is worth it, not if the tunnel is worth it. Does that make sense?

Thanks so much!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City of David Tour with 10 year olds

The tour is fascinating and your kids will enjoy it too.

You can tour the City of David on your own, but without someone explaining things to you, you really won't know what you are seeing most of the time.

Not sure what tour you are looking at, tours are more like two hours, not three.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,499 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: City of David Tour with 10 year olds

What time of year would this be? Bear in mind that in some places the water may be about waist height on a 10-year-old (it's not all as deep as that), it's about 30-40 minutes altogether walking in the water, and it will be very cold in winter.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,143 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: City of David Tour with 10 year olds

The water is always cold even in dummer and is definately a highlight. Although the site offers a three hour tour, even if you visit on your own without explanations it will take a minimum of 1.5 hours. The temperature in the tunnels is not cold, just the water. If you take dry clothes/shoes/socks, you can change when you are finished. Takes between 30-60 minutes to walk depending in 'traffic' inside.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: City of David Tour with 10 year olds

We went with our 9-year-old last summer and we all enjoyed it.

When we went, the water was only waist-high at the start of the tunnel. The rest of the time it was at or below knee-level.

Also, there is a dry tunnel that runs parallel with the wet tunnel. Perhaps that is a better option in the winter.

Tampa, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: City of David Tour with 10 year olds

Thank you. We will be there the second week of March. On the website the Biblical Tour is listed and the time is 3 hours. Will the water be too cold then? I tried to follow the link to book a tour just to see what other information it would give me but the window kept popping up to say my session had timed out. Not sure why.