We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Running

My girlfriend and I will be traveling to Jerusalem at the end of January, but we are also training for a marathon. We prefer to run outside, and don't really like treadmills... Is there a good place to do long distance training? Is it safe/disrespectful?

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running

Running in Israel city roads is dangerous. Suggest you check the Jerusalem Park site to learn about places you can practice without worrying about cars and enjoying the scenery

kkl.org.il/eng/…jeruslem-park.aspx

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running

Two very popular places to run are Gan Sacher and the park along the old train tracks in south-west Jerusalem.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running

I have always thought that people who ran the Jerusalem Marathon were the toughest of the Marathoners. The area is so hilly and it isn't exactly a runners dream but so many people participate. While you are not running the Jerusalem Marathon, just hosting this race does indicate there is a running culture here. Many of my friends continue training when they are in Israel. Check out this website for some suggested running trails/routes. mapmyrun.com/il/jerusalem-jerusalem-district/

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Running

I agree with anmejoshme that running has taken off in Israel in a way hugely different from when I was first visiting in the late 1980s and 1990s. But it is also true that Jerusalem roads are not "runner friendly." So, the website she offers is a great source of advice for you.

Have a great trip and good luck with your training!

Douglas Duckett

5. Re: Running

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 06:18