We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

abraham hostel

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tyneside england
Level Contributor
141 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
abraham hostel

is the a good place for a mid 50s couple to stay.we will be in the city for 5/6 nights plan to visit most sights and trip out to betlehem. concerned we might be too old if the other guests are all young backpackers. concerned might be noisy from reviews on here. how much noise is there from the trains do they go allnight? is this a decent area to be going out eating at night or are we better somewhere else in the city. doesn't need to be the cheapest but we will be trying to get decent value.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: abraham hostel

It always comes recommended on this site and i have friends who always suggest it. Another option is the Argron Hostel. (Did I spell it correctly?) You wont be the "wrong" age there either and its a great location

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: abraham hostel

The last time I stayed in a 'youth hostel' in Israel was last March. I am in my 50's. Sure many of the people staying there were young adults but there were also families and people into their 60's. There is no right age. Of course, there is youthful energy but hostels are pretty good about making sure those that want a good nights sleep can get it. The trains are pretty quiet, not a problem with noise from them. The location of the Abraham Hostel is excellent for location within a few minutes walk to many restaurants and walking distance to many sites. With the light rail right there, it is even easier to get around. You may want to book a private room with ensuite. The backpackers fill the dorms though the dorms are not exclusive to them, just cheaper.

Should you want a budget priced hotel, I would recommend the Montefiore Hotel on Shatz Street. In the heart of the new city not far from the Abraham Hostel. It is a 3 star hotel on a quiet pedestrian street, clean and comfortable. No views but more than makes up for it with the price and location.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,093 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: abraham hostel

It is difficult to know for sure if a hostel is your best choice without knowing your budget. How about sharing how much you want to spend per night and we can make more educated comments.

BTW the light rail, like most other public transportation does NOT run 24 hours a day.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,272 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: abraham hostel

The light rail is much quieter than the Tyne and Wear Metro, and as already said, it doesn't run all night. I doubt you would hear it from your room.

A few months ago I met a woman of around your age who had stayed for about 10 days at the Abraham and she was very happy with it.

The last time I stayed in a "youth hostel" (an official one of the Israel Youth Hostels Association, as it happens in Shlomi on the northern border), just over a year ago, nearly all the guests were middle-aged plus.

The location of the Agron (not spelling) is less convenient. It's at the corner of Agron Street and Keren Hayesod Street.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: abraham hostel

I stayed there and it was fine - I'm not young (pushing 50!) and there were a lot of older people. Great location - the trams weren't running for most of the time I was there because of the snow, but it's not to far to walk to either the old city or the bus station (took me about 20 mins in snow!). Lots of restaurants in easy walking distance. The bar's a great place to meet fellow travellers and exchange ideas about where to go and what to see etc.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: abraham hostel

Youth Hostels are for the young at heart. If a hostel is in your budget, go for it. You can't go wrong. In any case you will not be spending much time there and Abraham hostel caters mostly to foreigners so you won't have Israeli youth staying there and up all night. The light rail runs from 5:30 a.m. until 1 a.m. but it does not make much noise and most of the rooms do not face the tracks.

Chana

Israel

Nazareth
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: abraham hostel

There is always a wide range of ages at the Abraham Hostel, from teenagers to retired folks to young families. I don't think you'd feel out of place! Some of the evening activities are more focused toward young folks, like pub crawls and open mic night, but of course you don't need to participate in those. If you're like me, you'll already be asleep by then anyway. :)

8. Re: abraham hostel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:19