We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Hebrew University

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
To Hebrew University

Hi everyone,

I'll be traveling to Jerusalem from Haifa tomorrow evening, and I'll need to get to Hebrew University once I've arrived in the city. According to GoogleMaps, I can take the 960 bus from Haifa, and then the 68 bus from the station to get to Hebrew University. Is this the best way?

Because of the wifi, I was also considering taking a train to one of the 2 stops in Jerusalem. Does anyone know if a taxi from either of these places to the school would be expensive, or if there is a bus stop by the station that would also get me there?

Thanks so much for the help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Hebrew University

Which part of the Hebrew University do you want to get to ? There are three campuses.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Hebrew University

If you are looking to get to the Mount Scopus campus

From Central Station Jerusalem to Mount Scopus campus: Lines 23, 26, 28 (the university is the last stop)

From city center to Mount Scopus: Line 19, 30 4A

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,281 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Hebrew University

Take the bus, it's much more convenient. Assuming since you are referring to bus 68 you are going to the Givat Ram campus. The best way would be to take the bus from Haifa and 68 as you proposed. If you are going to Mt. Scopus and are confused about which bust to take, let us know.

Chana

Israel

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: To Hebrew University

Thank you!

Actually my location just changed...I need to get to 84 Habad St in the Old City...apparently it's by the bus station in the Jewish quarter. Does anyone know how to get there? GoogleMaps isnt recognizing that address in Jerusalem.

Thanks!!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,281 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Hebrew University

You should take the light rail just outside the CBS in the direction of Heil Avir. Get off at City Hall (Iriya) and walk in the direction of the train you got off. You will see Jaffa Gate. Go into Jaffa Gate and walk through the shuk (market), until you get to Chabad Street which is the next street after David Street to your right. There are no buses to that area. If you want to take the bus and not walk you can take bus 1 to Jaffa Gate, but it will take alot more time than taking the train and walking (unless you are carrying a suitcase).

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,970 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To Hebrew University

Actually, you can definitely take a bus to the bus stop you mentioned, The bus is the 38א, ( or aleph if you are not reading Hebrew) It is a SMALL bus, don't be surprised. You can get it near the King George stop of the Light rail.

Here, is the best I could get you on the Egged website

http://tinyurl.com/9prg3zj

Click on the bottom and you can get a map.

Going back to your train vs. bus to Jerusalem. The train is longer and a pain. If wifi is your deciding criteria, many of the intercity Egged buses also have free wifi !

Edited: 06 January 2014, 20:28
england
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: To Hebrew University

What's the fare please for this bus? That will be useful for me. Thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: To Hebrew University

To add to what's already been said about the disadvantages of going by train from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem: trains are very infrequent, at certain times of the day only every two hours, and the station is nowhere near where you want to be. There is no direct bus from Malha station to anywhere near the Old City. The Biblical Zoo station is useful for the zoo but nothing else.

The "King George" stop of the light rail is called Jaffa Centre and is close to King George Avenue. To get to the 38-alef stop, when you get off the tram walk back to the traffic lights and turn left onto King George. The bus stop is on the right-hand side of King George. Your light-rail ticket is valid for 90 minutes and includes the bus ride at no extra cost; just show the ticket to the driver. (You must validate your ticket in the machine as soon as you get on the tram; this will date and time stamp it so it's clear when you got on and when the 90 minutes end.)

The 38-alef goes only every half hour and takes 20 minutes to get from King George to the Jewish Quarter. It's a circular route and is scheduled to get to the King George stop at xx:28 and xx:58. So if you just miss one it will take very much longer than staying on the tram to the City Hall stop, but it will save a longish walk. Your choice!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: To Hebrew University

DawnBev: fare for which bus? Within Jerusalem you get 90 minutes unlimited travel on city buses and the light rail for NIS 6.90 (the fares went up on January 1, 2014).

Switzerland
Level Contributor
764 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To Hebrew University

" Because of the wifi, I was also considering taking a train "

When I went by bus from Haifa to Jerusalem last April I had free WiFi in the bus, also in the buses to/from Eilat. As far as I know all (Egged) intercity buses have WiFi.