We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Jerusalem

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tirana, Albania
2 posts
Save Topic
First visit to Jerusalem

We are 2 couples that plan to visit Jerusalem for 2-3 days. Given the short time I would appreciate the advices to organize our visit in order we can get as much as possible

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,020 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Jerusalem

Welcome to TripAdvisor.

Please tell us more. What are your interests? Religious sites, and if so, which religion? History, and if so, which period? (We have everything from Biblical to modern!) Museums? Architecture?

What time of year are you planning to visit? And what days of the week?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Jerusalem

What are you most interested in seeing? Historical sites, Christian sites, Jewish sites, museums, activities, markets, art, shopping ....if you let us know where your interests lie, it is easier to recommend something more tailored to you.

Tirana, Albania
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Jerusalem

We are catholic and we are interested in religious places, Jewish, Christian , and also in museums. In deed we plan to be Sunday night of 2. Week of Feb in Tel Aviv and by Tuesday early morning we will be in Jerusalem.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 22:54
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Jerusalem

If you like walking tours I'd recommend the Sandeman Holy City and Mount of Olives tours. These will include all the major Christian sites in Jerusalem inc the Via Dolorosa and some Jewish ones as well, maybe Temple Mount if the queue isn't long. And you can revisit any you want to see in more detail.

Colorado
Level Contributor
252 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Jerusalem

My wife and I visited without a tour; there is much to see. I'd recommend getting a room near or in the old city; we stayed at the Scottish Guest House. It's a bit out of the old city in a very nice location.

I'd recommend visiting the Church of the Holy Sepluchre in the morning, and then walking the entire old city; it's not very large and is amazing. There is a beautiful old church in the Armenian quarter that you must see. The Citadel was wonderful-we had a great volunteer guide there. We also walked over to the Garden of Gethsemene; that was lovely.

We started every day by visiting the Western Wall to say a prayer; that is a special place. We also did the Kodel tour, which was fascinating.

I'd recommend planning a bit and just let your self have time to walk the city; the history is breathtaking.

And I could go on for pages about the wonders of the Israel Museum; Yad Vashem was compelling. These are a bit of a distance from the old city but very much worth the trip.

On a more practical note, not sure when you are visiting, but it can get pretty cold in February; we had light snow and a lot of rain one day, so be prepared for the weather.

Take your time in your 2-3 days to take it all in. Since it's your first visit-as it was ours-let yourself take in the city.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 03:35
6. Re: First visit to Jerusalem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:18