We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling solo in Jerusalen

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling solo in Jerusalen

Hi all! I'm considering traveling to Israel this year by myself and wonder how easy/safe is for a woman to travel on her own. I'm in my early 30s and have traveled alone to other places such as Turkey. I would like to spend around 6-7 days in total in Israel, 1 day in Tel Aviv and 4 days in Jerusalem and perhaps 1 day in Bethlehem. I'm Catholic and therefore I'm interested in historical/religious places. I really enjoy walking, so long walking tours will be wellcomed. My plan is to travel around April/May.

Thanks,

Diana

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Green Olive Tours
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Yuval Statman Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
Shai Nahon - Ecological Tourism
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Multi-day Tours, Walking Tours
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Traveling solo in Jerusalen

Hi All

I have a couple of questions or ideas for which I'd appreciate your guidence. My plan is to be from May1st noon to May 5th morning in Jerusalem, that is I have 3 and a half days. I would like to go to Bethlehem and Jericho and wonder if I'd need a day for each of them or just half a day, would it be possible to them on the same day? I saw I can take the bus on my own to go to Bethlehem, but not sure if from bethlehem I can head to Jericho. Also, from what I've seen in the different forums it's feaseble to walk by my own in Jerusalem to visit the main places. Regarding the visit to Dead Sea, how much time should I take for it?

Thanks a lot,

DIana

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Traveling solo in Jerusalen

<<Regarding the visit to Dead Sea, how much time should I take for it?>>

The Dead Sea itself is just a quick float - you wouldn't want to stay in the water for more than 10 minutes. But if you want to combine it with Masada (very highly recommended) and/or a short hike at Ein Gedi, it's a full day.

The closest bathing beach to Jerusalem is Kallia, about half an hour by bus. But there is nothing else at Kallia. For the same floating experience you can stay on the bus to Ein Gedi, and then do the hike. There is no bathing beach at Masada. And bathing is absolutely forbidden except at authorized bathing beaches. You can't just wander around at the Dead Sea because there are sinkholes.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,955 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Traveling solo in Jerusalen

IN order to get from Bethlehem to Jericho you would need to go back through Jerusalem. There are some organized tours that include both cities in one tour - otherwise you would go first to one then return to Jerusalem and go to the next. You can see the top sites in Bethlehem in half a day.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Traveling solo in Jerusalen

I would suggest to place the question of transportaion from Bethlehem to Jericho on the West Bank and Gaza forum (I guess that the only solution will be by taxi)

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Traveling solo in Jerusalen

I know its prob easier for a male but went solo on trip to Israel had great time stayed in hostels and met great people,was talking to women solo travellers in the hostel I stayed in they had no problems. also if you using public transport in Jerusalem to other areas in Israel its cheap

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Traveling solo in Jerusalen

Hi Diana

I'm also considering going to Jerusalem solo - first time there but I'm an experienced traveller.

My dates are likely mid-May and I'm planning to focus on Jerusalem and significant Christian sites, so thank you for your post! So great to hear that people/ women have good experiences there.

As Galway777 says, it looks like there are some awesome youth hostels - have a look at www.hostelworld.com and enter location and dates. Hostels are a great way of meeting people, and you might even find some companions for your trips.

Good luck!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,407 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Traveling solo in Jerusalen

Galway, there is no problem with a female traveling solo in Israel. It is not easier or harder than a male traveling on his own.

Santa Barbara, CA.
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Traveling solo in Jerusalen

Can't wait to hear about your trip so pls. post when you get back. I too am Catholic and have a trip planned for October but will be traveling with a Group. Good luck...have fun! Safe travels.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Traveling solo in Jerusalen

Hi all,

Finally I'm going to Israel from May6th till May 12th, being in Jerusales from May8th-11th. My plan is to dedicate 1 day to the Old City, one to the Mont of Olives, one to Dead See and Ein Gedi and one to half day in Bethlehem and half day in Jerusalem. Given that 1 of my full days in Jerusalem is a Friday, I wonder what is the best plan to do on Friday given that transportation may not as easy as for the other days. What is your advice? Also, I'd like to know if in order to go to Dead Sea and Ein Gedi is better to go with a tour rather than by myself and in such a case which will be your recommended tour companies,

Thanks in advance,

Diana

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Traveling solo in Jerusalen

On Fridays public transport runs normally until about an hour before sunset (in May that means last buses will reach their destination at around 6 p.m.), and resumes after dark on Saturday night.

Buses to Bethlehem are Arab and not affected by this; they run normally on Fridays and Saturdays.

You certainly don't need a full day for the Mount of Olives. An hour is plenty.

Don't you want to see anything of modern Jerusalem? The city isn't only biblical and religious sites... What about the Israel Museum? Yad Vashem Holocaust museum? The Mahaneh Yehuda food market?

There are several buses a day from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea. Look at www.egged.co.il/eng for timetables. This is for the next seven days (updated daily) but it is unlikely to change between now and May. But if you want to go on a tour (transport only, no guiding), the Abraham Hostel does a Dead Sea tour.

http://abrahamtours.com/