We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early flight out of Tel Aviv - transport

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
544 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Early flight out of Tel Aviv - transport

I am about to book our flights. I am trying to decide if an 8:00 am flight is $100 (total for both) better than a 5:00 am flight. It is a Sunday morning. I plan to be in Jerusalem the night before. Can I get a taxi or service to bring us that early, and how long should the drive take?

Would we be better to stay at a hotel airport (assuming there are some)? Thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,231 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early flight out of Tel Aviv - transport

You can definitely get a taxi or a sherut (group taxi) at any time. At that hour, the drive should be about 45 minutes -- you MUST be at the airport three hours before your flight, so either way, you're going in the wee hours.

An 8:00 a.m. flight means leaving Jerusalem by 4:00 a.m. or so, so three more hours of sleep.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,060 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early flight out of Tel Aviv - transport

An 8 a.m. flight is better because it allows you to get some sleep the night before. There is no hotel at the airport. You should have the hotel order you a sherut pickup. The cost is 68 shekels per person. The only downside of not taking a taxi is that you may need to leave even earlier to accomodate the pick up of other passengers.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early flight out of Tel Aviv - transport

If the flight is only $100, then is it overseas or to Eilat? If to Eilat you do not need to be at the airport 3 hours in advance. If it is overseas---then you do!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,588 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early flight out of Tel Aviv - transport

I suggest you also factor in the arrival time of these flights when you get back home - which lands at a better time for you. There is not much difference on this end between the two times you note and it will be just as easy to get to the airport for either one.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
690 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early flight out of Tel Aviv - transport

And remember: Sunday is a regular work day in Israel (weekend is Fri-Sat).

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Early flight out of Tel Aviv - transport

There are no airport hotels. It's only a 45-minute drive at the most from Jerusalem to the airport, and the Nesher shuttle already referred to (booked the day before) can pick you up 24/7.

I understand the $100 to be the DIFFERENCE in flight cost, not the total, so I assume it isn't a flight to Eilat!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early flight out of Tel Aviv - transport

Shuffaluff--just read the OP and you are correct. Yup, not a flight to Eilat.

marrc---Shuffaluff is 100% accurate in what she writes.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
544 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early flight out of Tel Aviv - transport

Thank you all for the replies. My thriftiness was over-ruled by my wife's sleepiness, so we booked the 8:00.

9. Re: Early flight out of Tel Aviv - transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 06:18