We (3 women, in our early-mid 30s) are excited about visiting Jerusalem for the first time this April. Below is the preliminary itinerary, which is meant to be relaxed enough to enjoy each place, but not too slow-paced. I used information that I gleaned from the forums to help me plan the itinerary. I would greatly appreciate any additional suggestions you have, regarding feasibility of each day (e.g., too much/too little/the sites are too far apart from one another in a give day). I have a list of questions below, as well, which we would greatly appreciate answers to. Thank you, in advance, and have a great day/evening. Cheers!
6 April: Land at Ben Gurion Airport (TLV), transfer to Jerusalem via Nesher Shuttle or private taxi (accommodations preferably in the Jewish or Armenian quarters of the actual Old City)
*Western Wall Tunnels may be shifted to another evening, if we need to do so.
8 April: Mount of Olives: view from top and possibly from Seven Arches Hotel, Mary Magdalene Church, Church of All Nations, Chapel of the Ascension Garden of Gethsemane Lion’s Gate St. Anne’s Church/Pools of Bethesda Via Dolorosa Church of the Holy Sepulchre and view of Mosque of Omar Israel Museum in the evening (Shrine of the Book and model of Second Temple Period)
9 April: Jericho: Temptation Mount, Tel es Sultan, Elisha’s Spring and Zachaeus Tree); Bethlehem Church of the Nativity, Milk Grotto, Manger Square
*Alternatives: Tel Aviv for the day, or Emek Sifting Project, Zedekiah’s Cave, etc.
10 April: Garden Tomb (before midday closing) Hurva Synagogue r 4 Sephardi Synagogue (if unable to reserve a tour at Hurva Synagogue for today or for another day) Knesset (tour and possibly, the archaeology site) Yad Vashem
11 April: Masada/Ein Gedi/Dead Sea (organized tour)
*We are also going to make our way to Machane Yehuda bazaar, the Cardo, Ben Yehuda Street, and other areas within Jerusalem. Suggestions for other bazaars and local food, live performances, music, and other events are greatly appreciated!
13 April: Jerusalem to Wadi Rum via Eilat
1. What are some routes to get to Jaffa Gate via public transportation from, e.g., the centre of the Jewish Quarter?
2. Just to clarify, is it possible to visit the Tower of David on one day and reserve places for the Night Spectacular that is upon another day, using the combined ticket?
3. Also just to clarify, is it possible to re-enter the northern Ramparts Walk after descending from the gates after Damascus Gate (e.g., to see the gates and then re-enter the ramparts)?
4. Approximately how long does it take to walk from Lion’s Gate to the Dung Gate/City of David?
5. Are there lockers and/or changing rooms available for people who want to walk through Hezekiah’s Tunnel?
6. We may take a taxi to the top of Mount of Olives, however is there a bus that goes to the top or at least partially along the hill?
7. Can we see the Mosque of Omar clearly, from outside of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre? We are not Muslim, however we do want to at least see what the mosque looks like from the outside, especially since it is most likely that we are not going to Temple Mount.
8. How may we get to the Israel Museum from the Old Quarter (bus or light rail)?
9. To clarify, is it bus 36 from Damascus Gate that will go to Adu Dis, from where we continue by service/sherut to Jericho?
10. When do the borders close at Bethlehem on Wednesdays, to get back to Jerusalem? Also, are there specific borders to be wary of crossing?
11. If we are back in Jerusalem by 19:00 Uhr and have already eaten dinner, is it feasible to attend the Night Spectacular at the Tower of Daivd, or is this too close?
12. In case we are going to Tel Aviv for the day, where may we take the bus from Jerusalem to get to Tel Aviv and where may we find out schedule information?
13. How do we get to Knesset and Yad Vashem via public transportation?
14. Where do we go to reserve tickets for the Egged Bus from Jerusalem to Eilat, for Sunday 13 April, just in case we do not ring to reserve our tickets? Also, how far ahead in advance is it recommended to reserve the seats, given that this is the day before Passover begins?
Cheers so much, in advance, for the suggestions and help!