We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do before and after Dead Sea tour

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do before and after Dead Sea tour

Hello again everyone,

On Sunday, February 9th, my wife and I will be heading into Jerusalem from Tel Aviv and have a 12:30pm departure on the Abraham Tours Dead Sea excursion. I am wondering what parking is convenient and cheap to the Abraham Hostel and what recommendations you may have for things to do in the morning in the area around the Hostel before we go on the tour (coffee shops, historical things outside of the old city), as well as recommendations on what to do when we return to Jerusalem around 4:30pm. I know that 4:30 is probably getting to the end of opening hours for many museums, etc and we are going to have a full day in Jerusalem on Monday the 10th before heading to the airport on the night of the 10th, so I was planning on doing Yad Veshem on Monday. So if there are any recommendations on things to do let me know.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do before and after Dead Sea tour

Your plan of driving to Jerusalem to take the tour doesn't make sense, because parking in Jerusalem is not easy, especially right in the centre of town, and in any case Abraham Tours only offer transport, not guiding. It will be easier just to drive yourselves straight from Tel Aviv to somewhere like Mineral Beach than driving to Jerusalem and then joining the tour.

If you want to do this with the tour, take the bus to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv then the light rail to Abraham hostel (HaDavidka station is right next to the hostel). Re. what to do - well, the Old City is of course a priority. You might even be able to fit in (most of) the Sandemans free tour in the morning. If you do so, check whether Abraham can pick you up at the Carta parking lot, which is right next to the Old City.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do before and after Dead Sea tour

Yes, I understand that Abraham's Dead Sea tour is just transportation to the Dead Sea beach and then transportation back. I already pre-paid for it, so it is a tour I definitely will be going on. We have a rental car and were hoping to drive it to Jerusalem that day, walk to the hostel, go on the tour, come back, do whatever, and then drive back to Tel Aviv to our hotel. I understand that parking is difficult in both T.A. and Jerusalem, but any recommendations for parking lots near the hostel, etc would be awesome

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,920 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do before and after Dead Sea tour

There is underground parking more or less across the street from the hostel - it is in the lower levels of the Klal Building - a large white building that is on the other side of Jaffa Rd from the hostel. You will be able to park the car there - sorry , I don't remember what the charge will be.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do before and after Dead Sea tour

Ok, thanks for the info!

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do before and after Dead Sea tour

Take the bus if you are only going on the tour and around Jerusalem.

Take the car if you want to see something along the way, e.g. the Stalactite Cave.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,692 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do before and after Dead Sea tour

I really have to agree with others--it is easier and less stressful to just take a bus. In order to get to the parking lot Oreet refers to, you will have to drive down Agrippas--THAT street is horrendous and so full of traffic it can take an extraordinary amount of time to go a few blocks.

I understand you have a vehicle and apparently want to use it. However, your idea--just isn't practical!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,126 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do before and after Dead Sea tour

I realize that you have prepaid for the Abraham transportation to the Dead Sea. Since the entire trip is only 4 hours I am assuming it only involves going to the beach and maybe Ein Gedi? Am I correct? I think you should try to cancel and receive a refund and just drive there on your own. It will be a better experience than you are planning. The Abraham tour is for transportation for those who do not have such and are staying in Jerusalem. My two cents to enhance your visit.

Chana

Israel

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do before and after Dead Sea tour

I don't really want to take the hit of only getting 50 percent of my money back for cancelling (per Abraham's policies) so I am really leaning on just keeping the booking and doing that tour. I guess I could take the bus if it comes down to it, or drive and park and take light rail? Is there a light rail station to the west in the city that has safe/convenient parking near it. Near central station? Kiryat Moshe? Denia Square? Yefeh Nof? Mount Herzl?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do before and after Dead Sea tour

Take the bus to Jerusalem, the light rail outside the bus station to the Abraham Hostel (Davidka Stop) a few minutes ride away and enjoy the market at Mahane Yehuda before your tour. you can grab snacks to go. Not worth taking a car into Jerusalem. The light rail goes close to Jaffa Gate (City Hall) or Damascus Gate too if you want the Old City. You won't have a museum after your tour. Are you sure you'll be back in Jerusalem at 4:30? You can leave your car at the Arlosoroff Station in Tel Aviv and take the 480 bus from there to Jerusalem.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 16:03
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do before and after Dead Sea tour

Yeah, the tour itinerary says we will be back at 4:30 in Jerusalem.

Thanks for the tips.