We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxiis in Tel Aviv

New York City
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Taxiis in Tel Aviv

How easy/difficult is it to get a cab for local travel within Tel Aviv? And ditto for traveling by cab from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and back? Also, how expensive are cabs for local rides and rides to and from Jerusalem?

Thanks for your help.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxiis in Tel Aviv

Taxis are plentiful in Tel Aviv. In addition to the many taxi stands in the downtown area, you can just hail cab on the street. Use a meter for in city travel. Compared to taxis in my city, I find taxis in Tel Aviv to be a bargain.

To get back and forth to Jerusalem, the usual way is by buses which leave every few minutes from the bus stations and go to the Central Bus Station in Jerusalem. Also sitting outside the bus stations, you will see cars or mini vans with signs saying Jerusalem (might be in Hebrew) in their windows. These are shared taxis and will take you to the bus station in Jerusalem when they fill their seats. It is so easy and convenient to take a bus and so inexpensive, that unless you have mobility issues or are on an extremely tight schedule, it would be the preferred way to go over taxis. Of course almost any taxi will be happy to take you to Jerusalem. There are set prices between the cities (one of the Israelis on this forum would have the current rate).

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,094 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxiis in Tel Aviv

Taxis are everywhere and there is no problem finding them. But is there any reason why you wouldn't use public transport between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem? Buses go every 10-15 minutes, and the fare is 19 shekels. The buses are fast, comfortable, safe and reliable. The taxi fare from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem is 305 shekels.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxiis in Tel Aviv

Very easy and cheap ( compared to the UK).

Set fares between cities. The locals can appraise you of the fares.

It is not expected to tip but I always do because I believe it is right to do so ( and have always found the cabbies to be great). Just always request the meter to be used.

New York City
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxiis in Tel Aviv

The reason I ask is that the place we will be staying in Tel Aviv is a 30 minute walk to the central bus station ( according to Google) which means the journey is 1 1/2 hours each way. 3 hours is a lot of time out of a tourists day. I was trying to cut down on that time. Is there more than one bus station in Tel Aviv?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,094 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxiis in Tel Aviv

Yes. In addition to the central bus station, there is a bus terminal next to Tel Aviv Central Savidor railway station, from which route 480 goes every 10-15 minutes to Jerusalem.

Where are you staying in Tel Aviv? Chances are it's easier to get to that one. You certainly wouldn't need to walk for 30 minutes as it's highly probable that there are buses from your hotel/apartment to that bus terminal, which is very well served by public transport and is a much easier terminal to use than the Tel Aviv central bus station.

New York City
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxiis in Tel Aviv

We are staying at a friends apartment in the White City. (the Bauhaus apartment buildings) Near Shenkin and Mazeh.

Thanks very much to all for your help!!!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,094 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxiis in Tel Aviv

The 5 bus goes along Rothschild Boulevard and will take you to the bus terminal next to Savidor Central railway station. It's very frequent, and the last stop is about one minute's walk from the 480 stop in the bus terminal.

8. Re: Taxiis in Tel Aviv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 06:18