We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israel trip in september

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
McLean, Virginia
12 posts
Save Topic
Israel trip in september

Hi,

I am planning a first trip to Israel for september and need help with itinerary and dates. Our trip has to include september 16-18 (for a conference in Tel Aviv), we could spend a total of 15-16 days and would like to visit Jerusalem, Masada, Haifa and Eilat with a side trip to Petra and Wadi Rum.

The ideal 2 week period for us would be september 12-27 (arrival and departure from Tel Aviv), but that would include 2 days of holidays (sept. 25 and 26) at the end of our stay. Would changing the dates(sept. 5-20) or the order of places make any difference?

My tentative itinerary looks like this:

1. sept. 12 arrive in Tel Aviv, take a flight to Eilat, spend the night

2. sept. 13 take a guided 2 day tour to Petra and Wadi Rum

3. sept. 15 fly from Eilat to Tel Aviv, spend 3 nights

4. visit Haifa, Jerusalem, Masada (asking for input on days and order)

5. sept. 27 departure day from Tel Aviv

I would appreciate any thoughts and help with a best itinerary for the above dates.

Thank you

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Israel trip in september

Welcome to TripAdvisor.

Changing the dates would be a huge improvement.

From the afternoon of September 24 until after dark on September 27, many places will be closed for Rosh Hashana (the Jewish New Year). With very few exceptions, there will be no public transport operating for the whole of that time, and car rental offices will likewise be closed (except at the airport).

Because of the holiday, accommodation costs will be sky high and everywhere will be very crowded. Unless one has a pressing reason to be in Israel then - to spend the holiday with family, for example - it's a time to be avoided.

Being in Israel from September 5 to 20 would be much better.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,281 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Israel trip in september

Do come on the earlier dates. Flights will be less expensive, as will hotels. I suggest the following for a two week visit:

1 day Tel Aviv

4 days in the north -- including Haifa/Caesarea/Galilee/ Golan

5 days in Jerusalem

3 days for going to/from Eilat and visiting Petra one day -- fly back to Ben Gurion for your flight back home

There is one day missing which would be the date of your arrival.

Chana

Israel

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israel trip in september

If you could reschedule to Sept 5-20, it will avoid the whole issue of holidays, sky high rates and transportation issues.

A suggestion for an itinerary:

1. sept. 5 arrive in Tel Aviv, take a flight to Eilat, spend the night

2. sept. 6 -7 take a guided 2 day tour to Petra and Wadi Rum overnight Eilat

3. sept. 8 spend the day in Eilat

4. sept 9 rent a car and drive to the Dead Sea region, tour Masada and Ein Gedi. Overnight Dead Sea

5. sept 10-14 Jerusalem (return rental car on arrival)

6. Sept 15-18 Tel Aviv Conference

7. Sept 19- Akko, Haifa day trip

Sept 20- depart

This will give you time to see the sites you want, some flexibility and won't be too rushed. It also avoids having the schedule around the high holidays and the crowds that accompany them.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,826 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israel trip in september

Have to second the advice above - if you can shift your trip earlier by a few days, by all means do so - at the very latest you should be leaving Israel no later than Sept 22 or early on the 23.

McLean, Virginia
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Israel trip in september

Thank you so much, this helps a lot with planning, I was just trying to go a bit later, hoping it would not be as hot. I guess one week does not make a big difference in weather but a huge difference in logistics, transportation issues and prices.

McLean, Virginia
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Israel trip in september

One more question, would an open jaw flight with arrival in Tel Aviv and departure from Amman be something to consider? That way we could use the last days visiting Petra and Wadi Rum and avoid the holidays problems ?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,281 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Israel trip in september

You certainly could consider such. However, if you decide to do this, I would suggest crossing over in Eilat and not the Allenby Bridge. The Allenby(King Hussein) requires that you obtain a Jordanian visa at the Jordanian Consulate in your country of residence before departing for Israel at a higher cost than if you go from Eilat. Additionally crossing over at Allenby can be a very long ordeal as this is the busiest crossing.

Regarding weather, September is still summer and hot, whether the first or last week of that month, so this should not be part of your decision making.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 11 February 2014, 05:24
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Israel trip in september

The prices for open-jaw flights may be much more expensive, but it's worth checking out. Take into consideration that over the holiday, there will be many, many Israelis heading for Eilat and perhaps Jordan too.

As others have said, weather should not be a consideration.

I'd start in Jerusalem, renting a car for 24 hours to visit the Dead Sea area - take the car in the evening (6-7 p.m.), then either park it overnight and leave very early in the morning for your day, or drive to the Dead Sea in the evening, staying overnight. If you do a day trip, you save the trouble of changing hotels TWICE. There's nothing to do after dark at the Dead Sea anyway.

Why start in Jerusalem? I just think it's too much to try to continue on to Eilat after your transatlantic flight. After a few days Jerusalem, go to Tel Aviv. Use one day for the Haifa/Akko trip, then leave most of your luggage behind, take just carry-ons, fly from Sde Dov airport in the afternoon to Eilat, cross the border, spen the night in Aqaba (cheaper than Eilat), take the 2-day tour, and fly back to Tel Aviv that evening - you'll have plenty of time to return to Eilat after the 2nd day and get a flight back to Tel Aviv. I would not spend any extra time in Eilat in hot, hot September. It will be pleasanter to go to a Mediterranean beach.

If you want to see Haifa/Akko as a day trip from Tel Aviv, which is a good idea, you won't be able to do it by train on the 19th (Friday). You will either have to do it on Monday, 15th, or by renting a car on Thursday evening, the 18th and returning it at the airport before your flight on the 20th. Car rental offices in the cities close around 1 or 2 p.m. on Friday, only reopen on Sunday. Trains stop running a couple of hours before sunset on Friday. If you have a Saturday night flight out, it may even be a good idea to take the car for the two days and see more of the north.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 09:49
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,547 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Israel trip in september

Eilat is indeed very hot, but actually the sea is at a very pleasant temperature and there is a good breeze in the afternoon, therefore if you are just looking for a day by the beach/pool, I wouldn't avoid staying there for the extra day in September. Things start cooling off a little by September, so even though it will still be very hot, you're unlikely to hit one of the more severe summer heat waves.

10. Re: Israel trip in september

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 17:31