We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast before Marathon

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
215 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast before Marathon

My husband is running in the Jerusalem Marathon. I booked the Arthur hotel and they refuse to service any food to him or allow me to use the microwave to make him something hot - I was wondering what time the earliest time cafes open or whether there was a hotel which could accommodate our needs or will I have to book an apartment. Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast before Marathon

Having stayed at the Harmony, which is a similar Atlas hotel I actually wouldn't expect the Arthur to be helpful on that score. I would think you would stand a much better chance at one of the bigger hotels that offer room service - eg Dan Panorama or the Grand Court Hotel. You could phone or email them to be sure.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 11:54
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,983 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast before Marathon

At random, I looked on Google for Cafe Hillel, which has several branches in Jerusalem. The one on Hillel Street in the city centre apparently opens at 6 a.m.

I'll be in that neck of the woods tomorrow afternoon and will check for you (if nobody else confirms meanwhile).

london
Level Contributor
215 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast before Marathon

Thank you you are too kind! I really feel that they were very unsympathetic and would not refund me the money for his breakfast even if we went to a cafe - but would you believe it I phoned the Abraham hostel and they said their kitchens are open 24/7 and I could happily cook for him any time - so I am cancelling my booking for the Arthur hotel and booking the hostel! Just now wondering how on earth he gets to the starting line at Sacher park at that time in the morning - are there buses - its a pity the light railway doesnt stop there!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,583 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast before Marathon

Heather is right - you would need to find a hotel that has room service - they have kitchen staff on hand 24/7 and so can accommodate this type of request. No hotel with kosher dining facilities will allow you, or anyone else, to warm anything up in their microwave, etc. This would wreak havoc with their kosher certification.

Suffaluff's suggestion is a good one - there are a number of coffee shops downtown that may open early enough - another option would be Aroma in the Central Bus Station - the bus station opens at 6 am and I believe the Aroma does too - but you would have to check.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,583 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast before Marathon

Glad to hear you find a good solution. From the Abraham he could walk to the starting line at Sacher Park - it won't take him more than about 10 minutes. I won't overload you with instructions - the staff at the Abraham can tell you how to go - or you could take a taxi, it's a short ride. A bus won't really help - you'd waste more time trying to find the right bus and then taking it for 1-2 stops only.

london
Level Contributor
215 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast before Marathon

Thanks! Race starts at 6.45ish - I am sure he will cope with a 10 minute walk - its going to be incredible!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,983 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast before Marathon

There is no one bus (or tram) that will take him all the way there. It is certainly not worth trying to figure out which buses to take.

Think of the walk as a warm-up for the marathon!!

london
Level Contributor
215 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast before Marathon

Ha ha! Toda raba

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakfast before Marathon

There is a Ne'eman cafe under the Abraham hostel on Jaffa Street (by the light rail) which probably also opens early. Good luck to him with the marathon!

10. Re: Breakfast before Marathon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 06:19