We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Christian Tour Guides

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
52 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Private Christian Tour Guides

Hi All,

We are heading to Isreal in April.

Arrive in Tel Aviv and then heading to Jerusalem.

Several friends who have visited Jerusalem separately, have warned us to get a guide who understands what we want to see. Being Christian, they suggested a looking for a private Christian tour guide.

Although I have no preference on the religion of our tour guide, I do want a tour guide who could weave biblical knowledge with site knowledge. We are looking for a private tour guide who could review the sites we outlined, make suggestions, then take us to the agreed site.

I see several private tour operators in Trip Advisor, but keeping in mind warnings from friends who have visited but were disappointed in the knowledge of their tour guide, I am not sure how to approach this.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

dallas
Level Contributor
434 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Christian Tour Guides

Hi :) Certified tour Guides in Israel have to go through training that involves all religions associated within Jerusalem. So should be well versed in Christian,Jewish and Islamic faiths. If you look on the upper right hand side of the screen you will see a top question list. Click on that and scroll till you see the link to the one on guides. Lots of information. I would also like to let you know that there are several guides on this site that have wonderful reviews and NEVER self premote (against the rules). Oreets is the first that comes to mind. She is always so willing to answer questions and has wonderful reviews :)

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Christian Tour Guides

As the above poster mentions all Israeli licensed guides are qualified to guide all sites. What's important is that you find someone whose style suits your needs. Knowledge doesn't necessarily guarantee a good match for you. Hopefully some helpful suggestions will be put forward here but you will find a number of private guides listed on the site.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Christian Tour Guides

If you do want a Christian guide I would encourage you to find one. That said, I know a number of Jewish guides that I would be happy to have guide a tour of Israel and few Christian guides who are terrible. Don't have their cultural/religious background be the only factor in your decision.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,126 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Christian Tour Guides

The third link in the 8th top questions of Israel forum-( not the Jerusalem forum we are currently in) contains a "guide" that I put together explaining how to find a tour guide that is best for you. ALL three links contain multiple names. I second Tandoria's recommendation of Oreet. If you search the forum you will find reviews of her work by Christian tourists--and I am sure she could provide other references.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,771 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Christian Tour Guides

Most tourists to Israel are Christian and therefore most licensed tour guides are well versed in offering Christian tours throughout the country.

When searching for a guide be sure to mention which denomination of Christianity you follow. This will allow the guide to custom make an itinerary according specifically to your beliefs.

If you are coming exclusivley on a pilgramage a Christian guide would be your best choice. If you would like a more comprehensive tour any licensed guide would be suitable.

Chana

Israel

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
52 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Christian Tour Guides

Just an update!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

We went with Travel Israel Information - http://en.travel-israel.info and although not Christian himself, our guide Moti Bar - Tuv, was extremely knowledgable on our religious sites and our religious traditions, along with the other main religions practiced in Jerusalem. His sharing of this information gave us a unique perspective on the cultural and religious complexity of the region!

We were very pleased and would recommend this guide to anyone!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,126 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Christian Tour Guides

Thanks for getting back to us. Moti--is one of the guides who sometimes writes on this site. I am sure he was mentioned in the top question referred to by Tantoria in response # 1. We know he is a great guide! He posts here as motibt.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Christian Tour Guides

That is really good to know. Thanks so much for coming back and giving info. It will be helpful to others. :)

9. Re: Private Christian Tour Guides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 07:16