We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Station area

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
First Station area

What is the best way to get to the First Station from Agripas Street please. We are planning to go on a Friday.

What else is there to see in that area?

What is there that would be good to see in the German Colony? (I think that is close?)

Do I need to drag out my rather pathetic school-learned German language in the German Colony? (I guess probably not, but thought I'd just check).

I assume that if we end up being at the First Station or the German Colony in the late afternoon we would need to get a taxi back since it will be Shabbat by then - is there any particular place we would be sure to find one?

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Station area

Hi Heather,

From Agripas Street you can take a number 18 bus and get off by Liberty Bell Park, a one minute walk from the First Station.

The area is particularly lively on Friday morning. Apart from the First Station itself:

* You can walk down the nice footpath / cycling path that runs along the route of the old railway. You can go along here for several miles, or just for a mile or less to the end of the German Colony (at Oranim intersection at the beginning of Pierre Koenig Street). Then walk back along Emek Refaim Street past all the cafes and shops.

* There are two small Christian cemeteries on Emek Refaim St. by the intersection with Rachel Imenu St. Quite often one or other is open on Friday morning and you can take a look - I think you'd find it interesting (but no guarantee it will be open when you go).

* Just opposite the First Station there is an old Armenian church you can look at from the outside, but to the best of my knowledge it's not possible to visit it.

* You'll here lots of Hebrew, English and French as you walk around but no or little German! However if you can read some German (or even if not) - you'll want to look out for the verses from the Psalms in German written over the door lintels (is that the word?) of the original Templar homes in the area. There are several along Emek Refaim St. itself and on the small adjacent roads.

* All along Emek Refaim and by the First Station you will have no problem getting a taxi at any time.

Enjoy :)

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Station area

From Agripas near the market you can take buses #18 or #75 to the First Station. From Agripas near Klal building you can take bus #7.

The first station is very close to Emek Refa'im st. in the German Colony (less than 10 minutes walk). You can also walk on the railroad park from the First Station to the German Colony (or back).

I like that area during the evening hours, therefore I'll consider Saturday night (Friday everything is closed during the evening).

The German Colony is called this way because it was established by the Templars, whom have established various villages across Israel (e.g Sarona in Tel Aviv, the German Colony in Haifa and some villages in the Galilee). Most of the inhabitants there today seem to be American-born and French-born Jews.

Emek Refa'im is a main street in Jerusalem - you will have no problem to waive for a taxi there.

Edit: Posted in the same time with PRSV :)

Edited: 03 March 2014, 07:33
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Station area

Thanks to you both for your great information. It looks as though we could happily spend the day in the area.

From looking at maps on the Internet I think we will be closer to the Klal building so I am glad we seem to be able to get there on just one bus. :)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,711 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Station area

If you are into walking and visiting sites along the way, you could walk one way and take a taxi back in the other direction. Gives a different vantage point from going on the bus.

Chana

Israel

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Station area

Thanks Chana. I am uneasy to do that because my back has been playing up so badly. It's improving with therapy exercises but if I am going to walk around a fair amount when I am there I would be better to minimise back stress and pain by getting there and back as easily as I can. Of course, I can always change my mind when I get there if everything goes really well. :)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Station area

Heather, you've obviously gotten detailed advice. I will add a couple of thoughts:

• I absolutely love the German Colony area. I learned a lot about the Templers (not to be confused with the Knights Templar, whose history Dan Brown so badly botched) from Madeleine Lavine when we toured through the area. This colony and the one in Haifa seem to be the best preserved. They were a Christian evangelical movement that believed in returning to the Holy Land, and as noted above, they established several "colonies" with their very distinctive architectural -- plain and practical, but very much in demand today. To learn more about them (subject to the usual qualifiers about Wikipedia), see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templers_(religious_believers)

• If you want a great meal and a bit of a splurge, check out Ha-Sadna (The Culinary Workshop), a great, funky, trendy restaurant in First Station. This is the kind of place you'd find in Manhattan -- on this last trip, Madeleine introduced me to that as well, and I LOVED it, so much so that I am taking Brett there again in May. It's definitely the kind of creative cuisine he really loves. See http://www.hasadna.rest-e.co.il/. Jerusalem has come a LONG way since its semi-dowdy feel of my early visits -- a really booming restaurant and arts scene. I just love the First Station area.

Have a blast on your day in that area -- sounds fun!

Douglas Duckett

Edited: 03 March 2014, 13:00
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Station area

Wow.... They got deported to Australia!!!!

I didn't know any of that stuff. Thanks for posting about it. I will have to try and read up a bit more on that if I get time.

Do you think the restaurant will cater for gluten-free? It looked as though it might be possible from the menu. :)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Station area

I think so, but since that is not an issue for me, I don't know. I'd call and ask -- but since it is a place that prides itself on innovative and experimental dishes, I would think so as well.

Douglas Duckett

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Station area

Hi Heather,

I've not yet been to the First Station, but will be staying down the street and am also hoping to be there this Friday (soon!) for the first time. I didn't look into Hasadna as it's not kosher, but I am looking forward to eating at the kosher dairy "HaMizmon", the Kitchen Station. It's not an issue for me, but I did see a review that said there were gluten-free choices. That said, it's not a restaurant of the stature of HaSadna.

Whoops, sorry, forgot the link

firststation.co.il/en/…kitchen-station

Edited: 03 March 2014, 14:52
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Station area

I am happy with any options as long as I know they cater for gluten free. :)

Thanks for letting me know. I'll write it down and look out for it when we are there. :)