We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 Days in Israel - Solo Female Traveller

Brighton, UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
15 Days in Israel - Solo Female Traveller

I will be in Israel from 19 October to 3 November and am travelling alone. Do NOT want to join a Tour, but would like to dip into day tours when appropriate, or where public transport is a problem then take a car and driver.

I am on a modest budget and would be starting from Jerusalem and fly out of Tel Aviv on 3 November. I am a fit 69-year old lady, used to travelling alone.

Any advice/ help would be greatly appreciated.

Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Yoav Rotem Private Tours Israel
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 Days in Israel - Solo Female Traveller

I would suggest starting in Tel Aviv and taking a 2-3 day tour to the north after exploring Tel Aviv. Then move to Jerusalem to spend most if your time. There are free tours given by Sandeman's at Jaffa Gate and others which provide inexpensive yours to areas outside the Old City. You can rent a car and drive down to the Dead Sea area, staying for a night or two to make use of the spa facilities, float in the water and of course visit Ein Gedi, Qumran and Masada without running from place to place.

Chana

Israel

Brighton, UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 Days in Israel - Solo Female Traveller

Hi Chana - before coming to Israel, I will be in Jordan from 8 Oct to 18 Oct. I will leave Eilat on 19 Oct to go to Israel. I agree - I should come to Tel Aviv - do a 3-day tour north and then head south. But, I want to go to the Sea of Galilee also? Where does this fit into my schedule?

Brighton, UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 Days in Israel - Solo Female Traveller

I am not happy driving alone in a new country. Sorry.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,922 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 Days in Israel - Solo Female Traveller

I you don't feel comfortable driving here then the best way for you to tour the north would be to take a 3 day tour with one of the main touring companies as public transportation in the north is not set up for tourists and it is quite cumbersome, if not very difficult to tour the north with public buses.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,207 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 Days in Israel - Solo Female Traveller

These are some tour companies:

http://www.eggedtours.com/

http://www.unitedtours.co.il/

http://abrahamtours.com/theme/israel-tours/

Walking tours in Jerusalem:

newjerusalemtours.com/daily-tours/new-jerusa…

Free walking tours in Tel-Aviv:

visit-tel-aviv.com/….UuicZhD8JMw

Brighton, UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15 Days in Israel - Solo Female Traveller

Thank you all for your replies.

Two questions:

No 1. As I have 15 days what are the MUST DO things/places to see

No 2. What is the most sensible route to take - bearing in mind I have to be in Tel Aviv on 3rd November to fly home. I am coming from Aqaba OR Eilat to start the journey.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 15 Days in Israel - Solo Female Traveller

MUST DO things depend on your interests. Your "must do" could be my "avoid at all costs" and vice versa. Are you interested in religious sites (and if so, which religion)? history? museums? scenery? architecture? food?

As an example, a few years ago I devised an itinerary for a couple of English railway enthusiasts - sent to me by a mutual friend - who had a particular interest in seeing places of railway interest, old stations and so on. Perhaps you also have some particular hobby or enthusiasm, but if you don't tell us, how would we know?

Read a guide book, decide what interests you, post a list with a draft itinerary, and we'll help you fine-tune it.

Brighton, UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 15 Days in Israel - Solo Female Traveller

My religion is Christian. I am interested in religious sites. I am also interested in scenery and buildings, the culture of the country and it's people.

I am in Thailand right now so have no convenient access to guide books, only online info. When I get home in May I will get a guide book, but I had thought it would be necessary for me to have accommodation booked along the way, sooner than later - maybe, that's not an issue for me to worry about?

My route decision seems a priority to me - am I off base on that?

Thank you.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 15 Days in Israel - Solo Female Traveller

Your route depends on your interests! Since you are Christian I assume you want to see Christian sites in Galilee. Someone who has no interest in Christian sites might have different priorities. Now we have something to work on!

Chana's suggestion would work for you. The Sea of Galilee is in the north, and it would be included in any tour of the area. Since you're Christian, look for a tour that has an emphasis on Christian sites (different tours are aimed at different religions, or at no specific religion), and a general tour would probably spend less time on places that are of great importance to Christians.

Brighton, UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 15 Days in Israel - Solo Female Traveller

Wonderful - now I feel I am making progress. Yes, I will book a tour from Tel Aviv to the North. Do you think I NEED to BA accommodation in Advance.

I am proposing spending 5 nights in Jerusalem as there seems to be so much to see in this neighbourhood.

Suggested Itinerary

1 night - Tel Aviv

1 night - Haifa

3 nights - The Northern area to see Golan Heights, Sea of Galilee, Caesarea - a Tour

2 nights - Jordan River Valley and Nazareth

1 night - Jericho

5 nights - Jerusalem

1 night - Dead Sea

2 nights - Tel Aviv

It arrive in TA on 19th October and leave on 3rd November.

5 nts. In Jerusalem