We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yom Yerushalayim

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malden...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Yom Yerushalayim

So May 28, 2014 is holiday? What if I had to go to airport from Jerusalem?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yom Yerushalayim

The taxis and sheruts run 24/7 - to the airport and all around the country. In any case, Jerusalem Day is only a commemorative day, not a true holiday - it is a regular working day and everything will be open.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,553 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yom Yerushalayim

Apart from parades with flags, you won't see or experience anything out of the ordinary.

Jerusalem
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Yom Yerushalayim

There might be some roads in Jerusalem that will be closed during the parade that might affect some Public Transporation but besides that all will be functionig normal

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yom Yerushalayim

What time is your flight? Make sure the time you have to leave your hotel is either well before or well after the parade. Many streets in the center of town will be closed and it will be difficult to leave the city during those times.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,060 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yom Yerushalayim

The main highway will not be closed so the bigger question is where you will be staying and as noted, what time your flight is.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,392 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yom Yerushalayim

If you are planning to take Nesher, the sherut when you call them and tell them what time your flight is THEY will tell you what time they are picking you up!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yom Yerushalayim

I have just found out about this commemorative day I was unaware of.

Would it be a good idea to plan a day trip out of Jerusalem on Yom Yerushalayim?

I was planning to have my day trip to Masada by public transport on that day ... I guess intercity bus routes (like Egged bus 486) won't be affected, but will it be easy to get from the Old Town to the Central bus station?

I'll be staying at the Ecce Homo convent, and would reach the CBS via light rail from Damascus Gate.

Thanks

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yom Yerushalayim

DottIng,

Since you are indicating you're going to Masada, then I assume you're going out early that day?

If you take the first buses early in the morning, you will probably won't encounter any crowds and celebrations.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yom Yerushalayim

If you're not planning to participate in or observe the Jerusalem Day events, it's a good day to be out of the city. It will be extremely busy for part of the day. It's also not a good day to tour the Old City as some of the Jerusalem Day events and some (and I emphasize - SOME) of the participants create considerable tension between the different sections of the local population.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yom Yerushalayim

Hi Amos and PRSV,

I would aim at getting the Egged 486 bus departing Jerusalem CBS at 9:00 am; I hope this is early enough to avoid transport disruption due to the parades.

I am sure it would be interesting to observe them, but given the limited amount of time I'd rather use this day for a planned day trip, and stay in Jerusalem in quieter days when it's less crowded and my visit/sightseeing would presumably be easier.

Thanks