We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary help - I've read so many posts

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
68 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary help - I've read so many posts

this is what we have planned - we are 2 women, 50 years old..... hip, fit, and fun.

Arriving Ben Gurion from Los Angeles on June 30th.

Mamilla Hotel - June 30th - July 4. Private guide for 1/2 day July 1, full day July 2 and July 3 is Masada/Dead Sea - with guide

Tel Aviv in the afternoon - Alma Hotel - July 4-7

Eilat - Orchid Hotel - July 7 (flying, end of day)

Petra - July 8th - Private guide

July 8th evening fly back to Tel Aviv

July 9th/10th - Galilee/Tiberias OR

we do Galilee and Tiberias July 6/7 and cut Tel Aviv a little - we can always make up after Petra July 9th/10th.

Thank you

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary help - I've read so many posts

I would add a day in the north at the expense of Tel Aviv. Assuming you are renting a car this will giving more options for touring the Galilee and Golan.

Chana

Israel

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,539 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary help - I've read so many posts

July 4 is a Friday. Note that bus service from Jerusalem to Tel-Aviv will stop around 5 PM.

How are you planning to do Galilee/Tiberias - rent a car or organized tour ? If an organized tour, you can easily add an extra day in the north by taking a day trip by train from Tel-Aviv to Akko (this would have to be on Sunday, July 6).

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary help - I've read so many posts

I vote for Chana's suggestion. My order would be to drive to the Galilee right after Jerusalem on July 4th and stay there until your trip to Eilat thus keeping the last days of the trip for Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary help - I've read so many posts

If it's your first trip to Israel, I would suggest starting the touring in Tel Aviv. Next, continue north into Galilee, then travel south through the Jordan Valley to Jerusalem. After completing your Jerusalem-based touring (including Masada and the Dead Sea), I'd fly down to Eilat. Spend one night in Eilat and the following morning I'd take a Desert Eco tour to Petra. If time allows, it's highly suggested to spend one night in Jordan and do the Wadi Rum jeep tour on day #2 before returning to Eilat. Once back in Eilat, fly to central Israel to conclude your tour.

In terms of hiring a private tour guide, it doesn't normally make economic sense to engage a guide for a half-day of touring. The price is usually nearly identical to a full day program.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
68 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary help - I've read so many posts

Thank you everyone....too much to see and do. We were using a private car to take us from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv. Should we forget Tel Aviv and do Galilee? Should we go straight to TA when we arrive on June 30th for 2 nights then Jerusalem July 2-4 then Galilee and the north July 4-6? Then fly to Eilat July 7th and Petra July 8th?

I feel like it's a lot of moving around and I need to cut out one thing. Also we are carry - on luggage, we pack light.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
68 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary help - I've read so many posts

our guide quoted us 1/2 day walking tour our first day and a full day second day, 3rd day Masada/Dead Sea.

Thank you.....I'm going to adjust based on your suggestions.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary help - I've read so many posts

I suggest the following:

- Arrive Tel Aviv.

- Visit Tiberias and Nazareth.

- Visit Jericho & Dead Sea.

- Visit Jerusalem & Bethlehem.

- Drive to Tel Aviv, Fly to Eilat, Cross to Petra.

- Visit Petra.

- Cross back to Eilat, Fly to Tel Aviv.

- Departure.

You can move around the places and overnight, but it's basically: Center, north, center, south, center.

Most guides charge a full day price, however some of them charge half price (Depends).

John

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,658 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary help - I've read so many posts

As everyone is tossing ideas your way it is important to clarify, are you looking for Christian themes, Jewish themes, a general overview? That will help us help you.

Since you did not mention Bethlehem I coclude it's not a "must" which may be the same for Nazareth.

Though some will tell me I'm wrong, with such a tight schedule that also includes Petra I would add time to the Galilee cutting it out of Tel Aviv

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,325 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary help - I've read so many posts

I think while Tel Aviv can be cut way back--it should not be eliminated. Unfortunately, it is impossible to visit Israel and stay in one place.

Adding Bethlehem means you would be either cutting out time from Jerusalem or need to add time to Jerusalem. Jericho is not a must see and I see no reason for you to go there. Your schedule doesn't allow time to visit all the places on John's agenda! BTW Oreet asks a good question as to what is your focus ?

I also would NOT want to go back to Ca. directly from an Eilat flight. That means you would have been traveling for hours. Personally. I like to get on a plane freshly showered. Going from plane to plane after crossing over from Jordan on the same day--too much activity IMO!

Edited: 09 April 2014, 13:23
Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary help - I've read so many posts

Bethlehem is not only a religious city, it's also a historical city among many other features. You don't want to miss visiting the Church of the Nativity no matter what your religion or background is. As for Jericho, it has a site that is called Tel Es-Sultan, it's ancient Jericho and the oldest city in the world. The view from Mount of Temptations is amazing too. Masada is beautiful but it's not a must see site unless you come from the Jewish faith.

So what I would like to say in the end, is that everything depends on your preference really. Don't be confused by the many suggestions earlier and go with whatever you would like to see or visit.

John