We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative Tours vs. Green Olive Tours

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
82 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative Tours vs. Green Olive Tours

I'm interested in finding a review of the Alternative Tours with Abu Hassan that depart from the Jerusalem Hotel, and trying to compare this with the Green Olive Tours, which are extensively reviewed on TA.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,858 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative Tours vs. Green Olive Tours

Try asking at the West Bank forum.

England, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative Tours vs. Green Olive Tours

I have posted a TA link on the WB&G forum.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
82 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative Tours vs. Green Olive Tours

I am now in the position to answer my own question, having recently returned from Jerusalem. I was initially confused about the difference in tours because I found some references to the Alternative Tours run by Abu Hassan on the listing for Alternative Tours that departs from the YMCA. There is a big difference. One of the reasons we selected the Jerusalem Hotel for our lodging was because we read that Abu Hassan runs his Alternative Tours from the hotel, which we thought would be interesting and convenient. Unfortunately, we had a very bad experience with Mr. Hassan. I had exchanged several emails with Mr. Hassan prior to arriving in Jerusalem, found his description of what he would provide to us a little vague until l requested details, but we arrived with the understanding that our tour would begin at 9am. However, when we arrived (we also agreed to use him for transportation from the airport to the Jerusalem Hotel), he informed us through the driver’s cell phone that the tour would start at 10am. When I questioned the change in time he reluctantly agreed to a pick-up at 9:30am, but the actual tour guide didn’t show up until 10:30am. While the tour guide seemed very apologetic about the apparent traffic issue that caused his late arrival, we were subsequently informed that if we wanted to go to the Mount of Olives area, which was supposed to be part of the tour, we would have to pay extra for a taxi to drive the three of us there. After additional discussion with the guide, who seemed genuinely apologetic about the misunderstanding through Mr. Hassan, he hailed an apparent friend from the street who took us to the Mount of Olives area. While our tour with this guide was then fine, we felt mistrustful of Mr. Hassan and were concerned that we had already booked another tour with Mr. Hassan for the Dead Sea, Masada, and Jericho, but decided to give him another chance. We then received another call from Mr. Hassan, indicating that our agreed upon second tour also could not be arranged as he promised, at which point I told Mr. Hassan that I didn’t feel we could trust him for another tour, and he then screamed vulgar language at me and hung up the phone. We then informed Jerusalem Hotel staff of our predicament, the staff very understanding and were able to at late notice arrange for us to go on a similar tour with another tour company the next morning. So please keep in mind that Mr. Hassan’s Alternative tours that our run out of the Jerusalem Hotel has nothing to do with the Green Olive Alternative tours or other groups calling themselves “Alternative.”

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative Tours vs. Green Olive Tours

Thanks for the information. I am sorry your day was so messed up by this person. It's a good lesson for us all to try and find good reviews of any person or company we deal with.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative Tours vs. Green Olive Tours

Was your tour guide a licensed one? this could tell you if this business is legit or not. Always ask to see the tour guide license before the tour guide (he must wear it by law during the tour itself) - a tourism operator that does not work with licensed tour guides is a sign of trouble, beside the fact that he is breaking the law.

6. Re: Alternative Tours vs. Green Olive Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 21:35
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,858 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative Tours vs. Green Olive Tours

cherine - one post and praising someone that gets a bad review? Do you expect us to believe you?

8. Re: Alternative Tours vs. Green Olive Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 05:15