We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to stay in East Jerusalem???

New York City
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to stay in East Jerusalem???

Not a political question.

I am still planning the trip and I noticed the hotels in East Jerusalem are cheaper than those in West Jerusalem. I am looking to save some money and wonder if this is an option I should consider

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,650 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is it safe to stay in East Jerusalem???

Why don't you rent a small apartment through www airbnb.com

We are currently doing that for 3 weeks over this expensive Passover/Easter period we have been paying approximately 1/3 of the cost of the hotels that are well located and for a fit person we are walking distance of almost everything. I have severe back issues so we are hopping on the light rail or getting taxis at times, but they are inexpensive also and we are still doing everything much cheaper than at a hotel. You can easily see on airbnb if the apartments are kosher or not.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is it safe to stay in East Jerusalem???

In NYC AirBNB is illegal and ive heard so many horror stories on the NYC Forum for AirBNB so I am loath to use them anywhere even though Jeruslaem is not New York City.

I am looking for the latter half of August a clean hotel room with Free breakfast and Free Wifi and TV in the room within walking distance of the Old City for about $100. I dont think $100 is Possible so Id go to $150 (Lev Yerushalim was $144 for my dates) (It wasnt relevent but since I am Hilton Gold I get Free Wifi and Breakfast at all Hilton Branded Hotels including Waldorfs) I cant normally afford that hotel if I had to pay for it.

On a side issue can you get a place in the Dead Sea area for about the same price,I looked at those prices and seemed pretty high there as well. Haifa (also a stop on this trip) seemed a bit cheaper to stay in.

(I plan on staying in Aqaba, Jerusalem,Dead Sea and Haifa area on this trip)

dallas
Level Contributor
434 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is it safe to stay in East Jerusalem???

Although not kosher, the Abraham hostel is walking distance to the Old City with free wifi and I believe a private room for 1 would be under $100 budget allowing adequate wiggle room to eat a kosher breakfast somewhere nearby.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,570 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is it safe to stay in East Jerusalem???

A budget of $100 is very very low during the month of August which is high season. ( the only time prices are higher is during holidays) tantoria has an excellent suggestion. PRSV is very correct in what he writes.

I also read and post on the NYC forum. The issue with airnb in NYC and the illegality of rental in NYC has absolutely nothing to do with Israel. People constantly rent in Israel and the horror stories of NYC do NOT exist.

dallas
Level Contributor
434 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is it safe to stay in East Jerusalem???

Just checked on Abraham Hostel. You can get a private single room with no TV but does have free wifi, private bath, and refrigerator for $78 US. You can upgrade to a large double for $121 and you get everything listed on the single with an additional sitting area and TV. I just put in a random date in June to get the general pricing so it could vary depending on the time of year you are traveling. Hope this helps :)

edited: Sorry just noticed the Aug date listed further down in the post.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 13:38
dallas
Level Contributor
434 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is it safe to stay in East Jerusalem???

Abraham Hostel

August rates $86 single

$138 large double

Edited: 20 April 2014, 13:42
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is it safe to stay in East Jerusalem???

the agron hostel has a kosher breakfast, clean (basic) private room/with private bath , a shabbatt elevator and is a 10 minute walk to the Maimila moll which takes you right to the jaffa gate. It is a nice, well maintained building, with helpul staff, quick check-ins, with free wiffi, and is across from a grocery store with lots of kosher options.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is it safe to stay in East Jerusalem???

I know NYC and Jerusalem are not the same, but I am on vacation and I want to enjoy my vacation and not have to scramble for another place to stay (I once had to do this when Hotwire gave me a dump to stay at..Luckily they let me book another room). AirBNB I dont know how to trust that the room is what they say it is. If I book at the Lev Yerushalym, I know exactly what I am getting'

I have heard about the Abraham Hostel and I have considered that too. People here are correct I do want Kosher.

Are most of the Hotels in Israel proper kosher?

New York City
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is it safe to stay in East Jerusalem???

I need a double for 2 Beds (There are 2 of us)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Is it safe to stay in East Jerusalem???

Most hotels in Israel are kosher. I would assume (although I may be wrong) that all mainstream hotels catering to tourists in Israel, except in Arab towns such as Nazareth, are kosher. But this assumption is only a personal one on my part and I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. To be sure, you should definitely e-mail or call the hotel to ask, if you can't see the information on its website.

If it's of interest, official YHA (Hostelling International) hostels are kosher. Independent hostels and guest houses may or may not be, depending on the owners.