We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Jerusalem to Bethlehem

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
43 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from Jerusalem to Bethlehem

My husband and I will be going to Israel in May this year. We walk a lot and the approximate 6 miles from Jerusalem to Bethlehem will be a nice walk. It doesn't matter how long it takes. My question is will this be safe to do? Upon our return to Jerusalem, we are planning to take the bus back to Damascus Gate. Thanks for any info. G.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
West Bank, Palestinian Territories
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Jerusalem to Bethlehem

Shouldn't be a problem. You will have to pass a checkpoint into and out of Bethlehem so make sure you have your passports with you and enjoy.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 07:19
Mentioned in this post
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
43 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Jerusalem to Bethlehem

Thanks so much, Jebus S....just what I wanted to hear. Can's wait to visit your awesome city. Appreciate it. G.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Jerusalem to Bethlehem

Technically this walk is possible, and safe, but it's not really a "nice walk" - it's along a main road, and once you leave Jerusalem this stretch of road has no shade and you would be basically walking along a multi-lane highway with cars zooming past and no other pedestrians around. I would save your walking energy for other, nicer routes - we can recommend any number of walks and hikes.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,757 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Jerusalem to Bethlehem

Where are you walking from? Bethlehem is immediatelty south of Jerusalem. If there was no fence you probably wouldn't notice you were in a different city. You certainly can walk from anywhere but carry enough water with you as it will take you awhile to walk and keep in mind that this is far from a flat 6 miles -- both Jerusalem and Bethelem are on hills and going south is up hill.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
43 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Jerusalem to Bethlehem

Hi Chana: Leaving from Dan Panorama Jerusalem...planning to take water, hat, comfortable shoes and even an umbrella I bought in China for this purpose (sun). See what you mean about the hill going up....it is considered longer time walking when up a hill. Thanks so much for your answer and I do read all of these you provide for the other writers. G.

Mentioned in this post
Dan Panorama Jerusalem
Dan Panorama Jerusalem
1,807 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
43 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from Jerusalem to Bethlehem

Hi Avigail9: thanks for reading my question. A couple more for you: you mention we'll be walking along a highway. There is a big enough sidewalk to accommodate both of us, right? We will take our time and are thinking of starting our walk early in the day, after BF, to avoid the hot sun. Would there be any places to sit along the way to stop and take a few minutes break if needed? Thanks again. G.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,213 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking from Jerusalem to Bethlehem

Walking along Hebron Road, until you get to the end of Jerusalem's built-up area, you will find a very wide sidewalk and bus shelters with benches that you can sit in, since this stretch is served by frequent buses heading to the Gilo neighbourhood. After the Gilo turnoff I doubt there is any kind of sidewalk, and probably no kind of shelter until you get to Bethlehem, but that is a short stretch.

Mentioned in this post
Hebron Hostel
Hebron Hostel
60 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking from Jerusalem to Bethlehem

My wife and I ended up having to walk from Rachels Crossing checkpoint back towards the old city as we couldn't find transport. There wasn't really anything nice or interesting about it and we flagged down the first taxi we could find.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,757 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking from Jerusalem to Bethlehem

There is no highway but a wide boulevard. There are no benches, as there are no bus stops except by the Gilo turn off, since there is really nothing on the last stretch of the road, going up hill. You could stop at the ruins of the Byzantine church on the left side of the road near the turn off to Herodian/Har Shmuel) or to Mar Elias -- for a cool drink. There is very little if any shade (depends on where the sun is). I would say it's a good hour and a half walk from the Dan Panorama with the last half on a very boring road as described above. The first half through residential areas and there are places to stop on wall edges and some bus stops (some of which are in the center of the road at the bus lane).

Enjoy your walk. I think that once you have crossed into Bethlehem you will want to take a taxi to the sites.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Shmuel
Shmuel
72 Reviews
Tel Aviv, Israel
Dan Panorama Jerusalem
Dan Panorama Jerusalem
1,807 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,213 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking from Jerusalem to Bethlehem

Yikes, yes, I forgot about the bus lanes in the centre of the road on Hebron Road (Derech Hevron)... Be VERY careful if you want to go to a bus shelter because buses use the centre of the road in BOTH DIRECTIONS. Cross to a bus stop only where there is a pedestrian crossing, and wait for the light to turn green in your favour (little green man).

Mentioned in this post
Hebron Hostel
Hebron Hostel
60 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel