We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Tickets are cheap right now for Oct, how is May?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
646 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Tickets are cheap right now for Oct, how is May?

Hi,

Tickets to TLV from LAX are super cheap right now, around 824$ for an 11 day span from October 3-13. I read that weather wise October is good, but that there are some holidays and some stuff shuts down. I think I'd rather go in May, but I haven't seen any flights that cheap in May. Question, can I get a flight that cheap in May if I watch for it? Or is May generally always more expensive?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,020 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Tickets are cheap right now for Oct, how is May?

For a first-time visit to Israel you should definitely avoid the first half of October 2014. If you were to arrive on October 3, your first experience of Israel (assuming it is indeed a first visit) would be Yom Kippur, when the entire country, absolutely everything, shuts down completely - all tourist sites, all shops, museums, restaurants, everything. No public transport and no taxis. Even more than a normal Shabbat (Friday evening/Saturday), when many things are open and it's possible to get around. While Yom Kippur is an interesting experience, you don't want it to be your FIRST experience, within a few hours of landing in the country. I would say the inconvenience of this more than trumps any considerations of weather. (And as you may have noticed just by reading recent posts on this forum, we have had some extremely unseasonable weather in May!)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
646 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Tickets are cheap right now for Oct, how is May?

gotcha.... thanks Shuffaluff! That is all I needed to know! No wonder tickets are so cheap!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,064 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Tickets are cheap right now for Oct, how is May?

Not a good idea to come then as mentioned because the money you save on the flight will cost you double for hotels as its high season.

Chana

Israel

San Diego...
Level Contributor
646 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Tickets are cheap right now for Oct, how is May?

what about 9/5 - 9/15? tickets are cheap then as well.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,020 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Tickets are cheap right now for Oct, how is May?

This means September 5 to 15, right? No holidays then, assuming it's 2014 you're thinking of.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
646 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! Tickets are cheap right now for Oct, how is May?

yes sept 5-15, is that a good time? how is the weather? how are the crowds?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,020 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! Tickets are cheap right now for Oct, how is May?

Usually in the first half of September it's very warm. Having said that, freak weather conditions are possible at any time. We have just had more rain in one day (May 7-8) than in the whole of January and February combined, which is the first time it's ever happened, so weather is never guaranteed.

First half of September is not peak season, children have gone back to school, and - in 2014 anyway - there are no religious holidays bringing thousands of tourists who want to spend the holidays with their friends and relatives in Israel.

The dates of holidays are fixed according to the Jewish calendar, not the standard secular/Western calendar, so they vary from year to year. In 2015 from September 13 until October 4 there's a whole string of religious holidays.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
646 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP! Tickets are cheap right now for Oct, how is May?

so that might be a good time to go then...

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,064 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP! Tickets are cheap right now for Oct, how is May?

Yes, it could and lodging prices will not yet peaked for high season.

Chana

Israel

San Diego...
Level Contributor
646 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP! Tickets are cheap right now for Oct, how is May?

thanks it is a NO GO at the moment. my friend can't do september. Do ticket prices ever come this low in May?