We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour guide

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
tour guide

I will be in Jerusalem with my son (13) and daughter (10) in July and would like to know how much it should cost for a tour guide to take us to the Dead Sea, Masada and possibly another stop?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour guide

What you are looking for is a tour guide that drives. This runs ( give or take) $700! Some may be more and others less. The charge is a full day and a certain amount of milage--so if the stop is enroute, it doesn't change the price. In fact, Masada and the Dead Sea are NOT a full day and the guide would offer suggestions on how to fill it.

What I suggest you do is go to the Israel forum. ( you are in the Jerusalem forum) ON the upper right is the Top Question section. The 8th Question or so is "private guides?" Click the link and 3 additional links come up. The third one contains a guide I wrote on how to find and hire a private guide. The link also includes many names of recommended guides. Some of them ( Oreet, Chana and Dave) post on this forum so you can get an idea of how they think and what kind of people they are.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour guide

If you feel comfortable driving with a guide as a navigator, that's one way to keep the costs down. Many (if not all) licensed guides will do this.

For my trip in March, I spent a lovely day with Oreet (who posts on this forum) as my guide; I rented a car for the day and we went up into the lower Galilee. The driving was no problem.

My understanding is that for the guide to drive, she or he must have a touring car, which is an expensive proposition and adds hundreds of $ to the cost.

3. Re: tour guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 17:37
4. Re: tour guide

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 17:37
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour guide

Roman--advertising on this site is not allowed. Your posts have been reported!

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour guide

I don't know what your third site might be, but the Dead Sea and Masada are places you can self-tour with a little preparation. I'd use my guide money in other places where you will get more bang for your buck.

If you don't feel like you can drive, you may find that your hotel can arrange for a taxi for the day at a set fee.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tour guide

A taxi isn't always less than a guide navigating in your car. Worth checking before going that route.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tour guide

To round out the day usually Ein Gedi will be added to the itinerary and then, considering the driving time to and from Jerusalem you have a full day.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tour guide

Qumran, where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found, is also on that route.

10. Re: tour guide

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 06:16