We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rosh Hashanah and Restaurants

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rosh Hashanah and Restaurants

My wife and I will be in Jerusalem the last half of September and Rosh Hashanah is during that time (and before anyone asks, no we can't change the dates.) From what I've read on TripAdvisor and elsewhere I understand that almost everything including restaurants will be closed from the eve of the 24th through Shabbat on the 27th.

Our accommodation will be in city center near Davidka Square and is bed and breakfast. Does anyone know of any restaurants in the area that might be open during that time? Would a McDonalds restaurant be open? Not our first choice but fine if nothing else. We're not Jewish so don't care if kosher or not - just a place to find an evening meal. I know there are some of those in the area. My wife spent time last October in city center so is familiar with the area (Jaffa Road, King George Street, Ben Yehuda, etc.) There is some kitchen facilities available in our accommodation so if necessary we might have to get some food at the market before Rosh Hashanah eve to last a couple of days but had hoped to not have to do that.

One further question ... our calendar indicates this is Rosh Hashanah but also calls it Feast of Trumpets which Google tells me is a Christian term. Does anyone know if there are any events or celebrations happening in Jerusalem, Christian or otherwise, during this time? I wasn't able to find anything on the Internet.

Rod

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Jaffa
Jaffa
Tel Aviv, Israel
Hotel Yehuda
Hotel Yehuda
995 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Glen Whisk(e)y Bar
££ - £££, British, Bar, Pub
Agas Ve Tapuah
££ - £££, Italian, Pizza, European
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Rosh Hashanah and Restaurants

PRSV, thanks for the list - will keep some of those in mind too.

Rod

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rosh Hashanah and Restaurants

Good list from PRSV.

Yes, we were all describing the same elephant, as PRSV put it. 15 minutes walk from HaDavidka Square will get you close to the Old City and you will easily find something there.

We didn't find any restaurants open in the immediate area around Davidka square on Shabbat or the major holidays and we were located there for three weeks. That area seems predominantly Jewish and it was very quiet and peaceful on Shabbat. It is teeming with cafes and little eating places the rest of the week.

In the Old City, we found restaurants open in all but the Jewish Quarter on Shabbat. There is an Armenian Tavern in the Armenian Quarter, close to the David Citadel Museum that is supposed to do nice meals - but we haven't tried that. There are restaurants in both the Jewish and Christian Quarter also and several close to the Jaffa Gate.

If you go out of the Old City via the Damascus Gate there are also restaurants around there which would be open. We had lunch in one almost opposite the Damascus Gate - up one flight of stairs. (Or to be more accurate, My husband, John, ate lunch and I just had a coffee) . The meals looked nice and John certainly enjoyed his fish dish for lunch.

Mentioned in this post
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,387 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
David Citadel Hotel
David Citadel Hotel
2,210 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Christian Quarter
Christian Quarter
480 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jaffa Gate Hostel
Jaffa Gate Hostel
109 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Rosh Hashanah and Restaurants

Just thought I'd add an update to this thread. We are in Jerusalem and it is now Rosh Hashanah today. Turns out I found I really like falafels and shawarmas so picked up some extras yesterday at Moshiko's on Ben Yehuda so the food issue is covered. Going to miss that place when we go home (been there a few times over the last week) - I highly recommend it if you're in the neighbourhood.

Didn't go out last night but walked over to Ben Yehuda today and pretty quiet but found two restaurants open on Hillel Street - one was almost next to the Jerusalem Tower Hotel, just up the street on the same side and one directly across the street - don't know the names. Might try one of them this afternoon and save the falafels/shawarmas for Shabbat tomorrow. And McDonald's on Shamai is open too.

Accomplished most of what we planned, also got to ride the busses and the light rail. Abraham Hostel is perfect location for where we wanted to go.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Hotel Yehuda
Hotel Yehuda
995 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jerusalem Tower Hotel
Jerusalem Tower Hotel
285 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Shamai Suites
Shamai Suites
351 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Abraham Hostel Jerusalem
Abraham Hostel Jerusalem
2,228 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,408 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rosh Hashanah and Restaurants

Thank you for the update. Have a lovely vacation.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Rosh Hashanah and Restaurants

Final update ... Going home on Monday night. Of the two restaurants on Hillel I mentioned above open on Shabbat, the one across from the Jerusalem Tower Hotel is a coffee shop and the menu board was just in Hebrew so didn't go in but the other one just up the street is the Berta Bistro and Bar. We had two dinners there Friday and Saturday and the food and service were both excellent (staff was friendly and attentive.) It's a very nice restaurant and dinner for two would be about NIS 150 - 200. You can view the menu outside (Hebrew and English). We're budget travellers and had spent less than planned so far so treated ourselves and glad we did. I highly recommend the place.

As for earlier comment about Feast of Trumpets, as it turned out we heard a lot of Shofar blowing in the area around our hostel at different times during the days up to and through Rosh Hashanah, which my wife was hoping to hear.

So a very good trip.

Edited: 27 September 2014, 18:39
Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem Tower Hotel
Jerusalem Tower Hotel
285 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Rosh Hashanah and Restaurants

Great to hear about your trip. It sounds as though you had a wonderful time! :)

17. Re: Rosh Hashanah and Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2015, 05:15