We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Hi,

I need to get to Allenby Bridge border from Jerusalem tomorrow. Where exactly can I take Sherut at Damascus gate? Do they operate whole day? Do they have a schedule?

Thanks.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

They do not have a schedule; like all sheruts they leave when they are full. You'll probably need to ask around for the exact place they leave from, unless someone reading this knows exactly where they go from. You should ask for the sherut to the KING HUSSEIN Bridge, which is the name used by Arabs (they may not know what you mean if you ask for Allenby Bridge).

I hope you have your Jordanian visa, because they are not issued at that crossing.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 14:39
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
4,174 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Abdo Office (opposite Damascus Gate), Tel. 02-6283281.

Al-Nijmeh Taxi Service, Sultan Suliman St. (Damascus Gate), Tel. 02-6277466 (every 30 min).

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Hi,

We ended up taking the bus which we strongly regretted, because it only stopped near the border, which is not a walking distance and you must take taxi to get there. There was only 1 taxi waiting there when we got off the bus. And the driver asked for 50 Shekel (for less than 5 minutes drive only). We did not have another choice but to agree for paying him 50 Shekel.

Hence, we strongly recommend people to take Sherut! The bus fees plus taxi could be more than taking Sherut. And if there is no taxi at the bus stop, you will be stuck at the middle of nowhere.

Edited: 20 June 2014, 11:03
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,769 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Thanks for getting back with this report. This is way the forum always recommends a sherut or private taxi from Jerusalem to the Allenby Bridge.

Chana

Israel

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

When we asked the hotel people about the Sherut, they were unaware of it and suggested us to take the bus which was cheaper. Unfortunately, it was a big big mistake!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Yes, the place where you catch a sherut for the Allenby Bridge border crossing is not easy to find. I was just there earlier this month and had some trouble bul luckily found it with the help of a kind gentleman. In hopes of helping folks in the future, I will provide my insights here.

Giora 1 is correct in saying that the sherut service is called the Al-Nagmeh Taxi Company. To get to the office, you want to be walking northeast on Sultan Suliman St on the side across from the Damascus Gate (the north side). In other words, walking out the Damascus gate, cross Sultan Sulman Street and then turn right. You will pass a mini-bus depot about 150 meters down, then a narrow street (more like an alley), and then a covered alley (more like an opening in a building) that leads into an open yard. That is where the Al-Nagmeh office is. Look for a couple of Coke machines inside the covered alleyway and a small sign for Al-Nagmeh Taxi Company. Pay for your ticket in the office and get on the waiting sherut.

Good luck!.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,882 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Andy--great info. I am going to add this thread to the top questions, with specific instructions for people to go to post # 6!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Glad to help! My only regret is not having taken a couple of photos of where the entrance is in relation to the bus station and Damascus Gate. Good luck everyone!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
230 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

We need to do the trip in reverse, i.e. from the Allenby Bridge to Abraham Hostel in Jerusalem. How best to take a sherut from the Bridge? Will there be sheruts waiting at the Bridge? How much should we expect to pay, do you know? Also, any ideas how much we should expect to pay for a taxi from the Al-Nagmeh Taxi Company office IF we use that company to get to Jerusamen from the Bridge to the hostel located at 67 Haneviim Street, Davidka Square?

With sincere thanks,

Annie B.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,790 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Annie, according to this website it's 38 shekels per person from the Damascus Gate to the Allenby Bridge, so it's reasonable to assume it is the same in reverse.

abrahampath.org/discover/…

Not relevant to you, but that website says the shuttle from Jerusalem to Ben-Gurion Airport is 62 shekels. It is now 64 shekels, so the website isn't wildly inaccurate or hopelessly out of date. So if you are asked for 40 shekels don't kick up a fuss!

You don't say what time you are planning on arriving in Jerusalem tomorrow. If it's before about 5 p.m. you can take the light rail (tram) from the Damascus Gate in the direction of Mount Herzl, and get off at Ha-Davidka station, which is right outside the Abraham hostel. Cost is 6.90 shekels per person. On Fridays at this time of year the last tram sets out on its journey from a distant northern suburb of Jerusalem at 17:17, and should reach the Damascus Gate stop about 15 minutes later.

If you arrive too late for the light rail, a taxi is your only option (it is about a half-hour walk, and although it's completely safe it's not something you'd want to do with luggage...) and it should cost about 40 shekels. No tip necessary or expected.