We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Hi,

I need to get to Allenby Bridge border from Jerusalem tomorrow. Where exactly can I take Sherut at Damascus gate? Do they operate whole day? Do they have a schedule?

Thanks.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
230 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Shuffaluff,

Thanks so much for your almost immediate reply - I'm impressed! Also have really enjoyed reading your many posts. Sorry I didn't specify but we won't be actually in Israel til October 19, a long ways off. I was asking for assistance now as my husband and I (both inour 60's) are leaving the US on August 2 and won't return til November 6 so I'm trying to get all sorts of last minute details taken care of now so we won't spend so much time planning while en route.

Your info re getting to TLV from Jerusalem was very useful as we're flying out of TLV at the end of the trip. Not sure if you know but what's the best way to get to the Abraham Hostel in Jerusalem from Haifa using public transportation? FYI - we will each have fairly heavy luggage after having been on the road for 2 plus months so not opposed to taking a taxi if necessary from the central bus or train station. Are tips not expected for taxi or sherut drivers anywhere in Israel?

We will also be going to to Aqaba via Eilat so still need to research crossing the border into Jordan using public transportaion if at all possible.

Wishing you peace amid so much strife,

Annie B.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,399 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Haifa to Abraham Hostel in Jerusalem: There are frequent direct buses from Haifa to Jerusalem. Haifa has two intercity bus terminals, one at Hof Hacarmel on the southern edge of the city, and the other at Merkazit Hamifratz in the northeast part of the city. Neither is likely to be near your hotel, and a taxi from hotel to bus terminal would be the obvious way. From Hof Hacarmel the 940 will whisk you to Jerusalem in two hours, and from Merkazit Hamifratz the 960 likewise. All intercity buses have large luggage compartments. You didn't ask, but these buses cannot be booked in advance.

From the Jerusalem central bus station you can take the light rail (tram) towards Heyl Ha'avir, and get off at Ha-Davidka station, which as you already know (!) is right next to the Abraham Hostel.

Taxi drivers are not tipped (and don't expect to be tipped) unless they perform some extra service such as carrying your bags up several flights of stairs. And if the fare comes to say 49 shekels and you give the driver a 50, he will rummage around for a shekel change (which you will probably tell him to keep, but you don't have to!). Riding in a sherut is like riding in a bus, so definitely no tipping there!

You don't say what day of the week this will be. Note that public transport stops running about an hour before sunset on Fridays (meaning last buses reach their destination then) and there are no buses on Saturdays until after dark. In October this means from about 4 p.m. Friday until about 8 p.m. Saturday.

Jerusalem to TLV isn't on this thread so you presumably saw it somewhere else. Just to clarify, to the AIRPORT is not the same as to Tel Aviv the city.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
230 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

Thanks so much again, Shuffaluff, for all the incredibly helpful details - they truly make all the difference.

Thanks for asking/reminding us not to travel from noon on Fridays til after 8pm on Saturdays; I devised the whole itinerary in Israe to make sure of that.

Take care and stay safe

Annie B.

14. Re: From Jerusalem to Allenby Bridge border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 05:15