We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at the Youth Hostels in Israel ...

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at the Youth Hostels in Israel ...

IYHA ... Israeli Youth Hostel Association ... was a really good vacation stay alternative! During my recent trip to Israel, I sampled four of these.

All of the hostels provide a bedroom area and private bathroom and shower, and breakfast - and all of them were around the $86USD per night mark. This is a substantial breakfast! Buffet style, and everything you could want in a great hot dairy breakfast. I checked out the price of substantial hot breakfasts at various restaurants, and most of these were around $14 ... so that just adds to the value of these locations.

Also - each place has a hot buffet supper available that you can buy into, and the cost varied at each location - all the way from 55NIS (about $18.35) to 75NIS (about $25) ... and I have no idea why the prices varied so much.

The first place I stayed at was Keire Deshe, along the shore of the Sea of Galilee. Here, I got one of the really good rooms, a family room in a great location with a balcony. (It doesn't always happen that way.). The room was on the second floor and very large with a private balcony that gave a delightful view of the Sea of Galilee and beautiful birds and shrubbery and the lawn, where people would picnic and relax. There is a private beach here, too ... with beach chairs available. I would stay here again, in a second! ... and told them so! :). Even if I didn't have one of the prime rooms again, I would stay there - as the facility itself is beautiful, both front yard and back yard, and parking is ample and easy - and the staff were very laid back and relaxed with everything, including meals, and I loved my stay there! I stayed three wonderful nights! Suppers were 65NIS.

At this hostel - I found information and phone numbers for all the other hostels ... which prompted my spontaneous cross-Israel tour!

The second place I stayed at was in Akko, in a family room. I stayed only one night, so didn't get to see much in the area - but the youth hostel there is incredible ... it's like a major hotel! Very very modern. Supper was most expensive here at 75NIS, but I was very glad to have that option. The bedding was luxurious ... and the towels ... and the facility, really, was second to none. The room I stayed in did not have a balcony ... but many did. I believe my rate here, too, was a bit lower ... in the $70's, not $80's ... and perhaps this is because I didn't have a balcony - I am not sure. Parking was a bit of a challenge - as there is little space available on their premises. But what they do is offer you a discount coupon on a paid parking area which is right next to the hostel, which charges 20NIS a day ... and so parking would cost you 10NIS a day, as long as you stay put. There is no in and out privilege.

The third youth hostel I stayed at was in Eilat, and I had a single room here. This was a very basic room - and small ... but right outside my door was a little covered patio area with seating and a beautiful view of the Red Sea! I stayed here three nights. This location had the best breakfasts, in my opinion. They had a selection of salads that were just a bit fancier, and hot chocolate available in their coffee machine, and an interesting assortment of cheeses, and more of a variety of fruit ... and lots of window seating with real tablecloths and flowers on the table. Very very nice! They had a nice overflow parking area in the back - and to park in the gated back area, actually, was more convenient than parking in the front.

The fourth hostel I stayed at was in Ein Gedi ... and this was an older facility and room, but very convenient in all ways - especially parking, which was near my door, and so long as people didn't double park - we did okay. I stayed two nights. My room had a little balcony area, and it was again a family room with several bunk beds. The dining area was very nice, and they prepared a wonderful cake in the morning! Pets were allowed at this hostel - and a few people brought their dogs. It was in walking distance of Ein Gedi Park, and guests were given a discount pass for the park.

At all the youth hostels ... the reception desk personnel made all the difference, and were a resource to us travellers. Very helpful and accommodating ... even offering to doctor-up my foot, which had blistered again!

If you like parks and casual-dress touring - I think you would enjoy the youth hostels.

And you really do find every age! As an older person (mid 50's), I really and truly did not feel out of place at all, in any of the four hostels I stayed at. I would expect that those I didn't stay at, including those in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv - would be "as good"!

Sent from my iPhone

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at the Youth Hostels in Israel ...

Thanks Firebride for your helpful comments. Have you posted these on the individual review pages for the hostels (in the TA review section)? I think this would be helpful to future travellers.

Lawton, OK
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at the Youth Hostels in Israel ...

Firebird, would you share the name of the Hostel in Akko where you stayed. We are trying to decide between Akko or Haifa for 1 night and I liked your report on the Hostel. I think we are going to try to stay at the Keire Deshe based on your report!\

Thank you, Freddie

Wales
Level Contributor
204 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at the Youth Hostels in Israel ...

Hi Firebird what was your hotel in Jerusalem like Allenby 2 as that is where we are staying in October. Also is there anywhere nearby to park the car.

Have read all your posts with great interest as we are travelling around a bit and so looking forward to the holiday.

Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at the Youth Hostels in Israel ...

Hi Soupdragon! I really liked Allenby2. I stayed in what was called a Garden Room - and it was like the best of both worlds, as I had privacy but could join others in the main house area for breakfast, and the people that stayed there were really friendly and conversational. I can't imagine that anyone I met didn't like Allenby2, and I was booked in for 36 nights!

However ... I was not there with a car, and if you go with a car it is best to email directly with Nir and Dahlia about that. Do you have their email? I have it somewhere if you need it. I think you can have a car there, as some did - but I don't know what the arrangement is as I think the parking was metered there, so they would need to arrange something for you - a permit or something.

Freddie ... in Akko I think the hostel was called Knights ... but you can find out more via their website at akko@iyha.org. This site will connect you to all of the youth hostels - you just put in the location and it lets you know more about each hostel and room availability.

Avigail - you sweet person - you were the one who helped me find Keire Deshe! Thanks again. That's a good idea to post this info on TA. I will look into doing that!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,673 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at the Youth Hostels in Israel ...

The website for the youth hostels is iyha.org.il . They have many across the country. The one in Akko is new and is right in town center.

Wales
Level Contributor
204 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at the Youth Hostels in Israel ...

Thanks for that Firebird if you can get me the email that would be a big help.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at the Youth Hostels in Israel ...

What were your impressions of the Abraham hostel in relation to how it compared to the youth hostels? You mentioned that you had toured it. We love the Agron Hostel. I read in the Abrahams reviews that it wasn't as clean/spacious/nice as the international hostels. What did you think?

Edited: 07 June 2014, 02:47
Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at the Youth Hostels in Israel ...

I just have to add this one near the shores of the Kinneret.

The Aviv hostel/hotel. When you search it on booking.com you will find two of very similar names. Revise your search for the less money and that is the one I stayed at in 2011. I had a private room with private bathroom on an upper floor with an excellent view over the the Sea of Galilee. And at that time the Tiberius light show. It only cost about $50/night and it looks like it still is that in-expensive. Can't speak about the meals as I didn't take advantage of them, but I will stay there again if I want to stay in Tiberius again.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 05:21
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at the Youth Hostels in Israel ...

Hi soupdragon ... the address for Dahlia and Nir is:

allenby2jerusalem@gmail.com

Remi - I took a tour out of Abraham Hostel. I didn't personally see anything but the foyer - where I met up with the tour group leader. I can only pass on that whomever I spoke with who was staying there at the moment was pleased with their stay and didn't comment negatively on cleanliness or anything like that.

Personally ... I liked the more spacious feel of the Youth Hostels. These were buildings/facilities all on their own ... and felt more like a hotel than a hostel.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at the Youth Hostels in Israel ...

Just to help Freddie to find the right place - the spelling is Karei Deshe.

Firebride - glad you enjoyed your stay there. Here's the area of TA for posting reviews (this is for example the page for Karei Deshe):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297765-d121085…