We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount of Olives - Parking - catholic family

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Mount of Olives - Parking - catholic family

Hi there,

I'm planning to visit Jerusalem in mid November. I'm travelling with my wife and 7 year old son. We are renting a car for the whole week and we are trying (whenever possible) the trip without any tours. We are catholic, so we are focusing in visiting biblical places.

Now in relation to Mount of Olives:

1. Since I have a car, is still better to get there by taxi?... or definitely better to leave the car at the hotel.

2. What areas do you recommend to visit for catholics in the Mt? are there any other things relevant from other religions that we should not missed?

3. I know November is the beginning of the winter, what time should I be there and how long should I invest in this place?

4. I was planning to visit the Mt on a Friday.. is it better on a different day? I already have plans to visit Bethlehem on Thursday, but if I move Bethlehem for Friday and to on Thursday to Mt of Olives, are there still buses to go to Bethlehem on Fridays?

Thank you!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mount of Olives - Parking - catholic family

Thank you all. One more question. I was planning to do Mount of Olives (Now on Thursday, and not driving but taking a cab to the top of the mountain) then to Mount Zion, then Via Dolorosa and Holy Sepulchre... is this plan too much for one day?

I'm travelling in mid November with my 7 year old son... should I better do Mt of Olives, via Dolorosa and Holy Sepulchre in one day, and leave Mt Zion for another day (preferably not Friday)?

THanks!!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,570 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mount of Olives - Parking - catholic family

I suggest you start at the top of the Mt. of Olives, walk down and then go to the Lion's Gate for the Via Dolorosa, ending at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

You'll have to see how your son is doing,what the weather is, etc. and how you are holding up. If there is time you can then walk over to Mt. Zion, if not leave it for another day -but not on Sunday when the Dormition Abbey is closed to visitors most of the day because of services.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,863 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mount of Olives - Parking - catholic family

I think that doing the Mount of Olives, the Via Dolorosa and Mt. Zion in one day is too much for most people! That is a lot of churches in one day, even for the most Catholic of Catholics. It is also a lot of walking. Take your time and enjoy doing the Mount of Olives and Mt. Zion OR the Mount of Olives and the Via Dolorosa. For a seven year old, I would suggest that two of these locations would be more than enough in one day.

14. Re: Mount of Olives - Parking - catholic family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:16