We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of Jerusalem by myself... Any suggestions?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tour of Jerusalem by myself... Any suggestions?

Hello,

I will be travelling to Israel to attend my Jewish friend's wedding. I would like to take a day to visit the Old City as I am a Christian, only problem is that it would be just me... BY MYSELF!

-Is this safe for me to do?

-I want to hire a group tour guide for the day, any recommendations? I would like to visit the place of the Last Supper and the Jordan River, is it doable? I do not mind waking up early or returning late.

-Do have to arrange for alternate transportation since I will be staying with my Jewish friends and they cannot enter certain parts of Israel per my understanding. They are able to pick me up from certain parts I was told, any suggestions?

Excuse my grammar errors.

Thank you!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of Jerusalem by myself... Any suggestions?

You can tour the Old City by yourself. Jews can freely travel anywhere in Israel, so it's not clear what you are referring to. If you would like a guided tour it's possible to hire a guide for the day, but it will be expensive. I suggest taking an introductory tour with Sandeman's at 11 a.m. from Jaffa Gate and then wander around by yourself. It's perfectly safe to do so throughout the city.

Chana

Israel

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of Jerusalem by myself... Any suggestions?

I think your friends may be saying that they can't enter into area A of the West Bank which is under full the Palestinian Aurhority. This includes places like Bethlehem and Jericho. But you only have one day and the best place to spend that is in Jerusalem so that is not an issue.

Jerusalem is perfectly safe. You do have to watch for pickpockets, but that's the same as if you were visiting many other places in the world.

When you go to the Old City go in through the Jaffa Gate. Just after you enter the gate you will see two information offices on your left. Go to the seconded one where you can pick up a free map of the Old City plus other free info you might be interested in.

I haven't done the Sandeman's tour that Chana spoke of but it is well recommended. The time Chana mentioned may have been altered though. According to their website it now runs every day at 9 am and 12:30 pm, and every day except Friday at either 2:30 or 3 pm. (The website gives both times on the same page and I don't know which is correct). newjerusalemtours.com/daily-tours/new-jerusa…

The vendors in the markets in the Old City are quite aggressive salesman and it is the one place you definitely need to bargain. The initial price they give you for an item is always way more than you should pay.

Jerusalem is the most fascinating city in the world! Enjoy! :)

If you should want to hire a private guide then please read the info in the "top questions" in the Israel forum (you are posting in the Jerusalem forum). There are two tour guides who post here regularly and give wonderful advice free you might like to consider. Chana, who already answered you, is one, and Oreets is the other. I haven't used them (yet) as guides but I have met them both and they are truly lovely ladies who are very knowledgable about Christian sites as well as Jewish ones.

If you want a private guide to take you into the West Bank areas that a Jewish person cannot go then I can recommend Twins Tours . http://www.twinstours.org The twins are Palestinian Christians who live in Jerusalem. My husband and I went with Tony Moubarak from Twins tours into the heart of the West Bank earlier this year and would happily recommend him.

However private guides are expensive. You are looking at about $350 if you drive, and $600-$700 if the guide drives in their own car.

Level Contributor
2 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of Jerusalem by myself... Any suggestions?

How do I find sandeman? I am interested in touring tomorrow? I assume the Jaffa gate is huge and filled with nuance, can you offer more specifics?

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of Jerusalem by myself... Any suggestions?

The info plus a map is given on their site:

newjerusalemtours.com/daily-tours/new-jerusa…

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour of Jerusalem by myself... Any suggestions?

Sandeman's guide will stand just outside Jaffa Gate with a big sign that says new Jetusalem. It's a red sign and easily seen from a distance.

Chana

Israel

Level Contributor
2 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour of Jerusalem by myself... Any suggestions?

Your post offered reassurance. Upon my initial arrival, I bungled through the side portion that skirts the MAIN Jaffer gate. Plus my map showed another spot for a 2nd Jaffer gate, but a shop keeper asserted that there is only one Jaffer gate and as I reapproached the area at 8:45, the guides were there. Yes their presence is extremely obvious. Red t-shirts and all. I took the old jerusalem tour. It saved me so much time as we scurried when we needed to and took routes that were the most efficient. Our guide was positive and culturally sensitive with his explanations. He took time to answer all the questions. Fortunately our group was eight in size so he could easily speak so all of us heard his descriptions.

7. Re: Tour of Jerusalem by myself... Any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:16