We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Jerusalem

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Jerusalem

Left King David Hotel around 10:30 on Friday, had to make Eldan auto rental to turn our car in before 1:00 as they close early for Shabbat. Is a very nice scenic drive from the Dead Sea to Jerusalem.

Dropped Dawn off with all our stuff at the apartment were renting in the German Colony in Jerusalem, and made it to Eldan by 12:30.

Took a short cab ride back to the apartment we have rented, located on Masaryk street, and got settled in. We were advised by the owner Benyamin, that we should get to the local market soon if we needed anything because everything would be closing soon for Shabbat. Picked a few things up, then hit a local cafe for lunch.

Is a really nice area, with many cafe's and shopping options to chose from. Sure enough, by 3:00 most everything was shut down. Took a short cab ride down to the Jaffa Gait, and walked around a bit threw the Old City, window shopping.

Got back to the apartment early, the climb up Masada earlier in the morning meant a early night to bed. Had a big day planned early on Saturday, Mount of Olives tour.

More to report later

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Trip Report Jerusalem

Okay to clarify, it was Hezekiah's tunnel. It was on the Shabbat so it was closed, but with a bit of persuasion from our guide and a top. We were allowed in.

Yes Heather, I can see some inline searches in my future to match my pics with where we were.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 18:25
Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Trip Report Jerusalem

Also, we did a drive by of The city of David. I now remember the wall of the city pointed out to me.

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Trip Report Jerusalem

shawn I'm afraid all your Irish pub hopping is affecting your memories. JUST KIDDING!

Loving your reports just as much as the others. This one is making me sure to get the most out of my next visit to Jerusalem in April.

Ahhh, Jerusalem . . . . . .

Level Contributor
585 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Trip Report Jerusalem

Aren't the tours good?!! I was always so pleased when I took a guided tour. Israel really does train their guides well ... and I think they are very very careful to share the most truest information known. I noticed that with the guide I had in the City of David.

You do such a good job of describing your day, Shawn ... and it is a time-sacrifice to share your journey with us all. Thank-you so very much!

You've gone places I didn't go - and it's fun to hear about your adventures! The place where Jesus healed the paralytic was closed the day I went there, pools of Bethsaida - I think it was - and so I missed that.

Seems you have a guide with a bit of "pull ". :). Good for you !

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Trip Report Jerusalem

Yes firebride, Sam came highly recommended and we can see why. I didn't know it when we booked with him, but he's a good family man and was a pleasure to spend some time with. Not that it matters, we would have taken a guide of any faith, or no faith at all, as long as they were good at what they do.

But we came to find out that Sam was raised a Catholic, I'm not but Dawn is, so they could relate stories together growing up. And it really fit in well visiting some of the biblical sites.

Sam's a good man, as well as a fantastic guide. If anyone would like his email, you can private message me.

Memphis
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Trip Report Jerusalem

Shawn, your report is so full of vivid experiences that brings a lot of great memories during our last visit. We also hired Sam Eli Salem for a couple of days visiting sites in the West Bank like King Herod's summer palace near Bethlehem; Hebron and Jericho. Thank you for a great Report !

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Trip Report Jerusalem

Monday, our last day in Israel.

The day would start with a visit to Yad Vashem, The Holocaust Museum.

Want to see pure evil, go visit.

There were times we sobbed out loud, and didn't care who heard us. If you visit here and you don't at least have the urge to cry, then maybe your on the wrong side of the fence in this battle between good and evil we find ourselves in in this world.

The depth that human cruelty can go is seen at this place in the pictures and writings.

I'll never forget any of the things we saw and heard on the visit to Yad Vashem. But the thing that seems to stand out most in my memory, was the children's memorial.

It;s very dark when your walking threw it, and children's names and their ages are being read. Heartbreaking.

I missed it when first walking in, but then I realized there was a candle burning. No, hundreds, thousands of candles burning everywhere you look.

We were the only ones in there, and thinking back there was a strange peace with the darkness and the candles.

I hope I'm allowed to touch on something spirtual for just a moment. It was told in the Bible that Jesus loved children above all else, and he would never deny their coming to him. My belief is there's an age of accountability, and none of these children had reached it.

So, in my mind, all those points of light in the memorial that represent the children, are safe in the hands of the Creator. Others of course are free to think as they wish, but this thought gave me some peace of mind to the monstrous things that went on.

After our visit there, we had a planned visit to the Free Restaurant right across from the central bus station, run by the charitable organization Mier Panim. If you chose to, you can volunteer to help out at the restaurant at lunch time, which we did. Mentioning this has nothing to do with tooting our own horn. I just want to put it out there, so others may give this great organization a look, if their looking for a charity to help out. .

When we got there just after 11:00, they were busy busy preparing things for the 11:30 opening for those less fortunate who take advantage of this service. A very bright and bighearted women named Goldie, who's the Assistant Director of Overseas Relations was our contact. She showed us around, and filled us in on the many good things this organization does besides the Free Restaurant.

One of them is training people for a skill, so that they can be self supporting. It really is a great organization, you can visit their web site to see the many good things they do.

We were given our duties to help out. We were to serve those coming in for lunch. This is not your typical soup kitchen. Those coming in for lunch, sit at a table and are waited on as in a restaurant. It's meant to let them keep their dignity.

The lunch prepared was fabulous. It's meant to be well balanced so that those of different taste's will find something agreeable to them. It all looked good to me, and very healthful as well.They were quite busy when the door first opened. Goldie had mentioned that this would be the only meal of the day for many. Some brought baggies to carry some out for later, and it's fully allowed. Very nice.

They get many teenagers volunteering this time of year because schools out. And there were plenty of them here on this day. It was a great experience, and were so glad we came. It lifted our spirits being with those loving caring individuals, after the heartbreaking visit to Yad Vashem.

Took the bus back to our apartment in the German Colony to have our lunch. We chose to stop at a place called Cafe Restaurant, and weren't sorry. As soon as you sit down, they give you an ice coffee, which was very refreshing on a hot day. Fish and Chips and a big salad were very good. After lunch and we were on our way out, they gave us an ice coffee to go, very nice.

Just have to mention, as we were sitting there having lunch looking out the window. People were passing by going about their business. Saw a family pass by, mother and father with their baby in a stroller. And the thought came to mind that this same family would have been ripped off the street and thrown into a cattle car. Just seems impossible, but it did happen.

In the afternoon we heard of the 3 boys found dead. Was a real downer.

Some how, some way, the hatred has to stop. I truly believe it will, I have my own thoughts on how. But I'll keep that to myself.

After lunch we had to start gathering our things together for our early morning flight. We decided we had to get another piece of language for all the extra stuff we had accumulated. PRSV, our neighbor in the German Colony ("The Hood" as he calls it ), gave us a tip on where to pick a piece up at. There's a very nice mall just a couple minutes away.

We really loved this section of Jerusalem, and I think, God willing, we come back again. We will stay in the same apartment.

We just hung out at the apartment for the rest of the evening. We had some leftovers in the fridge to munch on. As nightfall came, Dawn started sobbing. What's up? She was so sad that we were leaving. I got dirty looks for 11 months as I was planning this trip from her.

We visited Italy for 10 days before coming to Israel, she loved the Italy planning. But when it came to Israel, she was scared to death, I thought I may be coming alone for awhile.

She now loves Israel, and can't wait to come back.

Goodbye Israel, until we meet again. It was a blast. Shalom

Level Contributor
585 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Trip Report Jerusalem

I appreciated this report a lot ... the cafe you helped at sounds so innovative - what a creative and respectful idea those owners have of helping people out! Like you say ... really preserves dignity. And your description of Yad Vashem ... it just hits the mark, I think.

You shared some real and raw emotions here ... I think it makes Israel more lovely when people do that.

Glad to hear you and Dawn will be returning to Israel again soon!

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,600 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Trip Report Jerusalem

Awwwwww. It's so sad to get to the end of a trip. I am with Dawn... Our last night is always hard.

You will certainly always remember this trip.

Start planning your next trip.... It helps with IWS. (Israel Withdrawal Symptoms).

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Trip Report Jerusalem

The Restaurant is a great idea firebride, will have to let some charities in the USA know of it. Maybe it'll catch on

I now know what IWS is Heather. One thing that helps a bit is, we have 3 days in Paris on the way home. It's not Israel, really mean that, but it's nice here.