We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Jerusalem

Dc
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Jerusalem

This is our first trip. We will be in Jerusalem for 3 nights and 3 full days over Shabbat. Can you recommend a good hotel with good location for touring and walking distance to the Kotel. I was looking at the Leonardo Plaza as the rates look very good for a 5 star hotel in comparison to the other 5 stars. What's the catch? We don't need a 5 star, 3 or 4 is fine as long as it's clean, safe and well kept. Thanks so much for your help.

Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Yoav Rotem Private Tours Israel
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,762 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Jerusalem

The star rating system in use now is not standardized nor uniform - so wherever you saw the Leonardo Plaza listed as 5 stars, others will tell you it is 4. It is a fine hotel and if the price is right I would have no qualms booking there - the location is convenient and if you are looking for a Shabbat atmosphere, you will find more of one there than in some other hotels as they attract more of an observant clientele.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Jerusalem

Seems to me that the allotment of stars for Israel hotels has more to do with the scope of amenities a property offers than with how nice it is. We recently stayed at two different Jerusalem hotels, one a boutique hotel with a 3.5 or 4 star rating (depending on your source), the other a full-service hotel that had a pool and gift shop, and served lunch and dinner as well as breakfast, with a 5 star rating. The boutique hotel blew away the 5 star property on every count but size: quality of the food at breakfast, how nice the furnishings were, cleanliness, helpfulness of the concierge, etc. Decide what's important to you (other than location), then look at websites and reviews carefully. There are no 5 star hotels (by US standards) at 3 star prices in Jerusalem.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,884 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Jerusalem

THere is no criteria for stars. They may be rated by the hotel itself or the booking agency. Supposedly they are working on some standardization. So, whatever criteria you think may be used is just as valid or invalid as the opinion of anyone else.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Jerusalem

The only 5 star hotels in Jerusalem are the King David; inbal; David citadel; mamilla; American colony and the new Waldorf.

Dc
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Jerusalem

Can you tell me which hotel it was?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Jerusalem

We enjoyed our stay at the Arthur Hotel. I described it in a thread "Impressions of Three Atlas Hotels" posted last week, right after we returned. The hotel that didn't suit us as well isn't within walking distance of the Kotel, so it isn't one you'd be considering.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Jerusalem

The Leonardo Plaza has an A+ breakfast, A- room, and a great location. The hotel has a nice outdoor pool but has very few amenities for 'winter' travelers.

8. Re: Hotel in Jerusalem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 12:35
Edited: 07 July 2014, 12:35
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,798 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in Jerusalem

The American Colony has been in existence for decades. But it is not an appropriate hotel for anyone wanting a Shabbat atmosphere.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,884 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in Jerusalem

While I didn't see the deleted post, I can infer there is some discussion about the American Colony hotel. It not only will not have a Shabbat atmosphere--it is NOT Kosher!