We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerusalem on Fridays

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Jerusalem on Fridays

Hi there,

Looking forward to our impending trip to Israel - hoping the situation/conflict settles.

Quick question for locals - we were looking at doing a tour of the Old Town on a Friday, but I'm not sure if this day is of particular religious significance. Are there likely to be any issues with places being closed, etc?

Many thanks

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jerusalem on Fridays

I am not a local, but you will find that things start closing down for Shabbat in the afternoon so I would suggest you go to sites in the Jewish Quarter first (check individual opening times), then go to other sites of interest, and do your shopping in the Arab markets last as they are open later.

Have a wonderful trip!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jerusalem on Fridays

Everywhere will be open as usual until early afternoon. Shabbat (the Jewish Sabbath) starts at sunset on Friday, and in the Jewish Quarter things will start to close at around 1 or 2 p.m.

If your trip will be during Ramadan (which ends on July 28), probably most places in the Muslim Quarter will be closed during daylight hours while people are fasting. This applies on every day of the week, not only Friday.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jerusalem on Fridays

Try Sandeman's New Jerusalem Tours starting at 9:00AM

http://www.newjerusalemtours.com/

4. Re: Jerusalem on Fridays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 06:16