We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large discount supermarkets in south Jerusalem?

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Enniskillen, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Large discount supermarkets in south Jerusalem?

I'm trying to locate any large discount supermarkets near to where we are staying in south Jerusalem (Hebron Road, next to Bulgaria Square.) I think there is a Rami Levy store in Talpiot, but I can't find the address as the website is in Hebrew. Would anyone know where the store is located or if there are any others within a similar distance (as we will be walking?) Thanks! :-)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,708 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Large discount supermarkets in south Jerusalem?

Rami Levy is in the Talpiot industrial zone at 15 Ha'uman Street. I had to look up Bulgaria Square as it's not a name that's generally used. Anyway, I see you are nowhere near Rami Levy and it's not worth going all the way down there. Not walking distance and certainly not walking distance on the way back with loads of shopping. And you can't do it in one bus.

There is a discount supermarket behind the First Station, with the entrance on Hebron Road. I don't know what it's called.

edited to correct spectacular typo!!

Edited: 07 August 2014, 08:08
Enniskillen, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Large discount supermarkets in south Jerusalem?

That's brilliant! Thanks Shaffaluff... we often pass by the First Station too, so I'll have to take a look next time we are there too! I'll try to post the name in case it is of use to anyone else too. Kind regards. :-)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,708 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Large discount supermarkets in south Jerusalem?

Super Deal. There may not be an English sign, but if you see people coming out with bags of shopping...

The entrance is here (the gap in the wall, opposite the white car:

http://tinyurl.com/owxyuc7

Enniskillen, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Large discount supermarkets in south Jerusalem?

Wow... can't believe that I have passed that store everyday this week, and never realized it was a discount supermarket! Thanks for pinpointing it for me, as I was on google maps trying to figure out the location myself before you posted! Very, very helpful! Thanks Shuffaluff! Can I ask you one more question that is not directly related to my post? I see the blue and white arab buses going down Hebron Road everyday. Are they going to/from the West Bank (as I know the way to Bethlehem is directly south?) In order to take one, do you have to start your journey from the Damascus gate bus station, or can you pick one up on the Hebron Road somewhere? Thanks for all the help. I'm here for four weeks, so I'm just getting my bearings still. :-)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,708 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Large discount supermarkets in south Jerusalem?

The 21 goes to Beit Jala (of no interest to you), and the 124 to Bethlehem. I have seen them stop for people to get on, but I don't know whether they have recognized bus stops. You might try waiting at one of the bus stops on Hebron Road (that serve the Egged buses), and sticking your hand out when an Arab bus comes along. (Come to think of it, I seem to remember seeing those numbers on the bus stop at the corner of Ein Gedi Street, heading into Jerusalem, so if you see 124 on a bus stop sign, there's your answer.) Take your passports; you might need to show them at the road block. Tourists are normally just waved through, but you have to prove you're a tourist!

Enniskillen, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Large discount supermarkets in south Jerusalem?

You are awesome! Thanks Shuffaluff! :-)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,796 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Large discount supermarkets in south Jerusalem?

Stores like Rami Levy pretty much only offer their sale prices to those who are members of their "club" To become a member you have to be an Israeli citizen or permanent resident. ( or have the # of someone who is an who is a club member)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,708 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Large discount supermarkets in south Jerusalem?

>To become a member you have to be an Israeli citizen or permanent resident. <<

Not exactly. You need an Israeli bank account and credit card (which in effect amounts to the same thing).

In any case (a) Rami Levy is much too far from where you are staying and is impractical for that reason alone; and (b) I assume this is a short stay so you won't be buying masses of stuff in bulk. You don't need a package of 48 toilet rolls, or giant-size bags of dog food!

Enniskillen, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Large discount supermarkets in south Jerusalem?

We had borrowed a store card from the owner of the apartment we are renting a few days ago, but I wasn't sure exactly where it was located. It's not actually too far for us to walk, as we regularly walk 10k a day, have backpacks for anything we buy, and it seems to be only about 2k, so it would be a nice walk in the morning. We are here for a month, so while 48 toilet rolls would definitely be too much, some of the other savings would be welcome. :-)

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,642 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Large discount supermarkets in south Jerusalem?

Superdeal is definitely not a discount supermarket - it's an upscale supermarket with both Israeli and foreign brands, but it's a good place to shop. The closest 'discount' supermarket is Shufersal Deal on Pierre Koenig street opposite the mall, but it's probably not worth walking all that way just to save a few shekels. Another option is to take the 74/75 bus to the market (Mahane Yehuda).

Yes, of course you can board East Jerusalem buses (Arab buses) at any of the bus stops on Derech Hevron, in either direction, just the same as you can board any other bus at those stops. All the buses use the same stops, and since a couple of years ago it's illegal for buses to stop where there isn't a bus stop. The price of a ride within town is 5.50 shekels; I think it's a little more if you go to Bethlehem. You can use either the Beit Jala or the Bethlehem bus (the Beit Jala bus ends up in Bethlehem a bit of a walk from Manger Square; the other one goes to the checkpoint and you have to cross on foot).